Roasted maple neck

Sparkes

My roasted maple neck with rosewood fingerboard just arrived here in London. I read the pamphlet that came with it and watched Aaron's warning videos about roasted maple and pilot holes. So I was super, super careful, measured all the screws and drilled pilot holes the same size as the central shank, plus used wax to lubricate the screw lightly. I got everything done, but then noticed that there were hairline cracks between the tuner holes. I'm absolutely gutted. Is this normal? Is it likely to be covered by warranty?

uvHxwfQ.jpg

This is what it was destined for. A piece of London plane tree from behind Euston Station.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG2ZNNoFUh-/

It’s best to call Warmoth directly, but I doubt this would be covered under warranty. Based on the indentations on the wood, my guess is you might have cranked them down too hard.

Push comes to shove a bit of glue might be all you need. In the meantime I’d weary of putting the tuners back on and I definitely wouldn’t string it up until you have a solution in place.

Side note. Check out Hipshot tuners. No filling required.

i gotta agree with my boy CJ (aka Cactus J. aka C. Jack aka Cracker Jack aka Calvin "the Rock" Coolidge) over here how hard did you crunk those screws down, my bro?

That piece of lumber you used for the body is gorgeous.  I love the medullary rays in sycamore/plane tree wood.

If you've drilled the pilot holes the same size as the
Sparkes said:
... central shank ...
but only measured the screws where the threads are and not the thicker unthreaded diameter (as can be found on tuners such as yours)

SD90-SL-33-N-d.jpg

iu

there will be cracks (see the difference between "minor" and major" diameter).

I too found out the hard way, but just applied some super glue and never had a problem.

Logrinn said:
If you've drilled the pilot holes the same size as the
Sparkes said:
... central shank ...
but only measured the screws where the threads are and not the thicker unthreaded diameter (as can be found on tuners such as yours)

SD90-SL-33-N-d.jpg

iu

there will be cracks (see the difference between "minor" and major" diameter).

I too found out the hard way, but just applied some super glue and never had a problem.

I believe you hit the nail squarely on the head there Logrinn. Solution would be to counter-drill the top of the holes to whatever depth is needed or use fully threaded screws. The ones in the picture look a little large for what's actually needed........ :headbang:

PhilHill said:
The ones in the picture look a little large for what's actually needed........ :headbang:

Well ... it depends ... :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

BgwQYDFCQAA7v7A

... sorry for the hijack ... carry on :icon_jokercolor:

Yeah, I agree wrong sized screw holes, but it really doesn't matter.

A little thin ca in there, a clamp or two, sand the back down to remove them evidence of your failed attempt and you'll never know.

Good as new.

Trust me, I've repaired a roasted maple neck from far worse (see sig).

Back