Roasted maple longevity

marcometalico

Hi, this might be noob a question but, I just want to make sure:

I got a warmoth neck (two piece RM, modern construction, 59 roundback). According to all the info I have read, roasted maple doesn't need a finish, but I live in a very humid city (average humidity: 78%) and I'm a little bit worried about the longevity of the neck. Do I apply a finish for the piece of mind? or finishes on roasted maples are totally unnecessary despite the weather? How has been your personal experience longterm?

Note: I sweat a lot when I'm gigging, but I never sweat when playing at home (that's what I do 90% of the time nowadays).

Other than that, I love the look and the feel of the neck as it is (my only concern is longevity/stability)

I have three roasted maple necks, the oldest of which I've had for over a decade. They each have been very stable in my environment.

And my environment? 80 deg temperature swings between summer and winter and humidity ranging between 10% to 80% depending on the season.

No, you don't need to finish it. I lived in Georgia for two years and just moved to Utah. My unfinished roasted maple necks just kind of shrugged and said "whatever".
Wait, you're in Utah now? I missed that. Whereabouts?

My most recent Warmoth build, from 2017 (Thanks in large part to Cagey.) has a Roasted Maple neck with an Ebony fretboard. My two regular maple neck electrics have some tendency to fluctuate with seasonal changes and humidity, the Roasted Maple does not seem to care as much.

I have three roasted maple necks, the oldest of which I've had for over a decade. They each have been very stable in my environment.

And my environment? 80 deg temperature swings between summer and winter and humidity ranging between 10% to 80% depending on the season.
Except with the exchange rate, it's more like 40° American and 7 - 50% humidity.

;)

Back