roasted alder smells pleasant

scgc_va724

The roasted alder strat body and goncalo alves/bocote neck that I ordered two weeks ago arrived this week. Roasted alder has a somewhat pleasant smell that is slightly sweet and reminds me a touch of hickory and maple. I was tempted to put a slab of salmon on it and put it on the grill.

This is my first strat-type guitar and first partscaster project. I decided I'd rather do my own thing than go to a box store and buy a name-brand model. I didn't want to feel chained to keeping an expensive name brand, like my LP Goldtop, in original condition.

Warmoth did a fine job representing the body and neck woods in the photographs and the colors match what I am seeing out of the box. The mock-up picture that I made from their website is very similar to the pictures that I took with a Galaxy 7.

The neck will remain unfinished except for burnishing. Not yet sure how I am going to finish the body. Should the body go au natural or maybe get a few coats of clear nitro sprayed on it? Has anyone let their roasted alder body go unfinished?

The body weighed in at 4.2 lbs. and the neck at about 1.4 lbs.

First pic is the mock-up. The others were taken outside with a Galaxy 7. I did try to minimize the glare. The bocote has some yellows in it that compliment the roasted alder. Going for sort of a western look with this axe.

Attachments

• alder_goncalo_bocote_sans_jack.png
    alder_goncalo_bocote_sans_jack.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 590
  • body_neck_separate.jpg
    body_neck_separate.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 363
  • bocote_fretboard_closeup.jpg
    bocote_fretboard_closeup.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 350
  • body_neck_joint.jpg
    body_neck_joint.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 684
  • neck2.jpg
    neck2.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 363
  • body_neck2.jpg
    body_neck2.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 431
Nice!  Congratulations on your new chunks of machined lumber!

I think the roasted alder looks nice under a plain clearcoat, but perhaps a brown-to-clear burst would do you up right.

Nice,
I have a quite similar grained ash body here on my desk that I plan on attaching goncalo to. That combination confirms it's not too much of a grain feast with the fretboard - looks great :) I guess you went Unique Choice or showcase for the neck going by the builder preview.

Bagman67 said:

I think the roasted alder looks nice under a plain clearcoat, but perhaps a brown-to-clear burst would do you up right.
With that neck, I agree with this. It'll be interesting to see how a clear finish brings out the natural wood beauty.

Tomatonator said:
Nice,
I have a quite similar grained ash body here on my desk that I plan on attaching goncalo to. That combination confirms it's not too much of a grain feast with the fretboard - looks great :) I guess you went Unique Choice or showcase for the neck going by the builder preview.

You were right. I bought showcase neck VMS12938. There were a couple of others like it. The headstock wood has colors that reminded me of flames -- not that I was looking for that effect. lol. I guess I can always apply a dark brown finish on the front-facing portion if I get sick of the variegation.

The natural finish on the goncalo neck feels faster or smoother than the finish on my LP's neck, which feels almost sticky by comparison.

Bagman67 said:

What is interesting about the the body is that has a light caramel color indoors and a soft buttery yellow color outdoors. It seems to change with the amount of light.

I may go with a brown to clear burst per your suggestion. Need to find some scrap wood to practice my finishing skills. I've never tried to apply a burst type of finish before.

Nice wood! Should be a great "western" build. Looking forward to watching it progress.  :icon_thumright:

great combination ... alder is a great tone wood!  looking forward to seeing the build

You can get a rattle-can toner of whatever shade of brown lacquer you need at http://www.shellac.net.  Their website is straight outta 1998 but they are prompt and reasonably priced.  Check out the Behlen Jet-Spray toners about halfway down the page here:

https://www.shellac.net/behlenfinishingproducts.html

This post from the Project Guitar site gives great visuals for how to get a uniform burst using a cardboard silhouette. If you want a wider burst, either use longer props to get the carboard cutout a little higher off the surface of the body, or trim it a little smaller around the perimeter.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tutorials/finishingrefinishing/poorboyburst%E2%84%A2-r29/

I used the same technique on this body:

5902777552_625c00026d_b.jpg

If it's anything as pleasantly fragrant as roasted maple, its next on my list!
(soooo...plan for the next solar eclipse for my feedback)  :icon_thumright:

Bagman67 said:
You can get a rattle-can toner of whatever shade of brown lacquer you need at http://www.shellac.net.  Their website is straight outta 1998 but they are prompt and reasonably priced.  Check out the Behlen Jet-Spray toners about halfway down the page here:

https://www.shellac.net/behlenfinishingproducts.html

This post from the Project Guitar site gives great visuals for how to get a uniform burst using a cardboard silhouette. If you want a wider burst, either use longer props to get the carboard cutout a little higher off the surface of the body, or trim it a little smaller around the perimeter.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tutorials/finishingrefinishing/poorboyburst%E2%84%A2-r29/

I used the same technique on this body:

5902777552_625c00026d_b.jpg

Nice job on the tele body. That shellac site had a lot of good discussion on finishes and finishing. The bit about lacquer being able to expand and contract with the wood was eye-opening. Apparently, I have a bit more homework to do. lol.

Back