Report from Freak Guitar Camp

Logrinn

Greetings guys,
from the woods outside Gothenburg and from the Freak Guitar Camp.
I'm here with another 30+ people engrossed in all things guitars.
I've never seen so many talented guitarists gathered in one place at the same time. Mostly guys. Just two women - a shame really, we need more female guitarists i think.
And I've never seen so many high end guitars in one place - Caparisons, Suhrs, Mayones, Fenders, Ibanezes, Gibsons, Jacksons and so on.
And of course my 7/8 Warmoth Strat. (24" scale?? What are you doing in a place like this with 7- and 8-strings and 27"-scale monsters?)

Anyway, I thought I'd post some pictures here as the week progresses.

Starting with some I took of the neck of a Strandberg guitar. For those of you that haven't seen or tried one, they've got a pretty interesting design. They call it "Endur neck" and have applied a patent for it.

150230535438458700_resized.jpg

150230534569202700_resized.jpg

And here's an image of those True Temperament Frets that IA uses on several of his guitars (all laying around here for anyone to try)

150230532877235700_resized.jpg

I'll be trying out these a bit more to see how good they really are. I can tell you though that they don't really feel that different from normal frets.

Besides of getting to play the most complex music I've ever encountered in my life (think Zappa's Black Page) we're getting treated to guest musicians sharing their expertise.
Yesterday Ola Englund was here playing and talking about making it in this world of social media (for those that don't know he's a big Youtube player).
And here's the amazing Magnus Olsson showing his tapping, hybrid picking and legato skills.
The footage is from my phone and the volume in the room is pretty LOUD and the sound quality suffers because of this. And for some reason the sound and image doesn't sync up. But you get the idea.

To be continued ...

That looks like tons of fun! How does that Strandberg neck feel to play? It looks super different. I can sort of understand why it would work though...

Enjoy the time there. Here are some observations and questions.

The Strandberg neck looks either revolutionary or in progress. Depending on how you look at it.
How can you patent a couple of bevels off the sides?

Who is IA?
Has the flautist of Jethro Tull, moonlighted to playing guitars with scientifically wonky frets?

Who is Ola Englund, outside of Youtube? this is actually a serious question. I see him from time to time popping up on there usually playing some piece of kit with death metal amounts of gain.

And finally are there any Teles there with fine chicken pickin'?

stratamania said:
Who is Ola Englund, outside of Youtube? this is actually a serious question. I see him from time to time popping up on there usually playing some piece of kit with death metal amounts of gain.

He plays in a couple of Death Metal bands. Not much else to him too be honest...

stratamania said:
How can you patent a couple of bevels off the sides?

No idea. This is what it says though on the back of the "headstock"

150236604357200100.jpg

stratamania said:
Who is IA?

He's the guitar player behind Freak Guitar Camp (named after his band Freak Kitchen). This camp is the nineteenth he's hosting. He's an incredible guitar player with a very unique style. He's into Konokol, ie advanced rhythms. This is part of what we've been working on during this year's camp:

150236604763473300.jpg

stratamania said:
The Strandberg neck looks either revolutionary or in progress. Depending on how you look at it. How can you patent a couple of bevels off the sides?

To be fair, they're not just bevels, they're asymmetric bevels.

Fat Pete said:
stratamania said:
The Strandberg neck looks either revolutionary or in progress. Depending on how you look at it. How can you patent a couple of bevels off the sides?

To be fair, they're not just bevels, they're asymmetric bevels.

A ha, and there is the headstock also that is different.

Interesting looking music.

Will do.
We actually had a luthier here yesterday talking about guitar building and stuff that goes into making a guitar work.
He said some interesting stuff I'll share when this is over (one thing about necks under pressure and another about Gibson)

The camp is slowly drawing to a close. Here's a shot of all of us attending:

150254595545618700.jpg

Can you spot the blue Warmoth 7/8 Strat with the roasted maple Mustang neck?

stratamania said:
4th from the left, second row?

That's me and the guitar in question.
IA, the guru, is the blond longhaired viking at the front behind the guy lying down.

It is. I and a few other guys represent the 50+ farts while there's some kids that are under 20. The tall guy in the whitish shirt second from the left is 17 and plays like Yngwie. Amazing talent.
Being here is extremely inspiring. IA is an outstanding guitarist, teacher and inspiration. A genius really.
The stories he has shared with us of him playing with other musicians are hilarious. And he's played with Vai, Bumblefoot, Dweezil and many many more.

Ok, I'm back from the camp. Completely exhausted. I never realised this much guitar related information for one week could turn my brain into a jello. Feels like I'm severly jetlagged. Extremely tired.

But, never the less, I thought I'd share this image of a guitar used by one of the guys at the camp.
The brand is Legator and the guy using it is a sponsored artist and he actually did a guest performance one night. Super nice guy.

150282508260114300_resized.jpg

Seems like an awful lotta strings for just one guitar. Are some of those spares, or how does that work? What if he wanted to play with his teeth?

A lot of guys (and gals) had 7- and 8-strings there. Me and some other of the more tradionalists (read: older) were the ones with standard 6-string guitars.

It can sound pretty massive with those lower strings, but I have a hard enough time keeping track of just six.

Me three. Remember 100 years ago when you could play half of Black Sabbath's catalog with 3 strings or less? Good times...

Back