Repainting a body...

pirate

Just curious, I have a Warmoth parts bass where the body was damaged (just the finish, still plays fine) from bug spray (Off Deep Woods). I had no idea that bug spray would basically melt the finish off. It's painted a color, so no clear over pretty wood thing, with a satin finish. Heck, I may even change the color.
So wondering, has anyone had Warmoth refinish/repaint a body? Or hear of such a thing? Or any idea what cost would be involved. Not sure I will bother, but maybe some point in the future? I'm going to call Warmoth when I get the chance of course, but curious what everyone here knows about it, if anything.

as always, my disclaimer,  i am an idiot and dont take my advice too seriously,

shellac

Depends where the spot is ... if it's where your forearm touched the guitar, back of the neck or around the pickguard, you're gonna have a spot in 10 years anyway, so why bother.  It's character.  I've seen it on other peoples guitars, coming from the garden party circuit.  I only put that stuff on the back of my neck or ankles, never on my arms, face or hands.  AFter I spray I wipe my hands off on some towels.  Never a problem.  Keep a cheap tea towel in your gig bag.

You could try ... If there's still some paint on there, just put a clear coat over it, after cleaning with naphtha.  I think that would work.  Never tried it myself, so whatever advice I give you use at your peril.  Probably asking Warmoth what to do would be the right thing.  They probably won't take it back, but they should be able to give you advice.

They are other finishers here, I think tonar is still in business, you could try them.

Or you could get an armrest like Jack White.  It might cover it if it's at the forearm.

If it's in a spot that would get wear, I'd say leave it.  People pay extra for "relic".

With all my gits, I want them pristine when I get them.  My heart sinks after the first ding or gash.  After that, it's character.  I've got an ovation with finish cracks.  Repaired them once, now, I just leave them.

Yep, where my forearm rests, which is, of course, how it happened, had sprayed my arms LOL. Some of these outdoor gigs in south Florida can have swarms of mosquitos eating you alive as you play. Just never occurred to me to think it would eat away a finish so easily, and then realizing that I spray the stuff willingly on my skin!
Not a BIG deal, just something I have been thinking about, and you are right, in time, it will be worn there anyway.

Call it legitimate relic! :)

Kidding. I get it. I'm one of those who's really tired of the relic trend and just don't understand the appeal of deliberately making an instrument look beat up when it didn't earn that beating. I prefer my instruments look pristine as possible, no matter how old they are.

While I obviously can't speak for WM, I have a suspicion that refinishing an instrument isn't in their scope of business. Kinda' like how you wouldn't go directly to GM, Ford, or Nissan for body work after an accident. You'd go to an aftermarket collision shop.

But again, I don't claim to speak for WM's business model, but that's my thinking from a business operations perspective. Refinishing built instruments would require more work than just throwing a blank slab of wood into the paint production line. And some additional liability.

Maybe instead of WM, there are other entities specifically tailored to finishing instruments that might fit the bill. I think some forum members here send out their gear to be pro painted, if some of the marvelous GOM entries are any indication.

Well, I suppose basically, I would send them the body alone, to sand down as much as necessary, then apply a new paint color and satin finish. I am guessing not a lot different from the paint department receiving a body ready for painting? Though I know absolutely NOTHING about this process so.... :icon_biggrin:

I’ve never seen or heard of Warmoth offer a refinishing service, aside from warranty. They have a production pipeline built for new product.

There are several guitar finishing services out there that will refinish, but it’s not cheap. On top of the finishing cost that is usually a $150-200 stripping fee. A solid color on an unbound body will run you $400-500 total. That’s not price competitive to a new replacement body.

Last time I asked Warmoth would not accept any incoming bodies or guitars for finishing, not even fresh ones off their own production.

I wanted a body and try it unfinished and only send it back for painting if it was worthy. They don't do that.

i guess 1st one should ask if you have photos ,,,  then one could reiterate that you should not take my advice,  that said depending on what needs repair,  perhaps wipe on poly?  again shellac?  spray on nitro ?  but again one should ask if have any pohtos

Couple of quick pics of where the bug spray damaged it. Not huge, and not the end of the world, and certainly where my arm will wear on it naturally over time.

Attachments

• Bass 01.jpg
    Bass 01.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Bass 02.jpg
    Bass 02.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 18
Wow, crazy the DEET did all that! Must be more toluene in it than I thought! ???

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/finishing-supplies/colortone-50s-classic-colors-aerosol-guitar-lacquer

i dont know if this would be compatible with the current finish

Back