Relic finishes

vegababy

Couldn't find anything on that topic in suggestions and I don't mean to step onto anyone's toes if it's not their thing but maybe Warmoth could add a 'RELIC' option to the paint department. Maybe even a bit like Fender does with their customshop options were you can go from light-relic to full on 'used'.

Sure, some people might argue 'why ?' or 'just do it yourself' but some people might not have the right tools or knowlegde to do that kind of thing and smashing it into a wall or dragging it over a parking lot is not quite the same :).

1.) Buy any factory finished Warmoth body
2.) Tie body to back of vehicle through neck bolt holes or tremolo as appropriate
3.) Drive down gravel road at a good clip, stop and check every 1/4 mile to see if degree of "relicing" is to your satisfaction.

I used to go to Urban, but when it showed "smuggling" as "put something in your butt", I decided to go for the hint from guys here: dictionary.com  :icon_biggrin:

EDIT: link: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2184.0

It also helps if I slow down my typing and spell words the right way.    :doh:  don't want anybody here thinking I'm confederate wooki. :laughing7:

Brian

Artificial relic finnishes, I dont get. 

Would you buy a new Corvette and pay someone to Bald the tires and add some leaks to the engine, crack a couple valve guide seals so that it smokes.

In fact, if you bought a '64 Vette, you'd pay someone big bucks to put a new paintjob and chrome job on it, rebuild the engine to blueprint specs

And If you have a relic guitar that you know is not real, and one of your buddies says " hey that's a cool axe" you really gotta call that guy Dipshit number two, number one being the guy who paid to have it done.

Tonar, I don't blame you at all for filling a niche that people want, your a true artist, and I respect what you do, I just dont get the people who want it.

well, for some, the idea to have to play the guitar 20 years in a bad way it terrifying... specially when you're around 20, like me... I can barely THINK in me with 40yo, even more have to way to get a guitar completely distressed till there...

You'll be 40 soon enough. It happens to all of us, and it beats the alternative.

Alfang said:
Artificial relic finnishes, I dont get. 

Would you buy a new Corvette and pay someone to Bald the tires and add some leaks to the engine, crack a couple valve guide seals so that it smokes.

In fact, if you bought a '64 Vette, you'd pay someone big bucks to put a new paintjob and chrome job on it, rebuild the engine to blueprint specs

And If you have a relic guitar that you know is not real, and one of your buddies says " hey that's a cool axe" you really gotta call that guy Dipshite number two, number one being the guy who paid to have it done.

Tonar, I don't blame you at all for filling a niche that people want, your a true artist, and I respect what you do, I just dont get the people who want it.

I didn't mean to start a discussion if relic'ing is good or bad and that's why I posted it in the suggestion box. In my opinion it all comes down to taste and again, in my opinion, relic'd finishes are finishes. Same to me as a super-burst whatnot, just a different style.

A friend of mine is an interior designer and in that sort of business relic'ing has been around a lot longer and it's totally absolutely normal. You could argue why does someone want a custom build piece of furniture that looks old...Well, because he likes the look of old furniture but could not get the right old piece to his specs....

You rebuild the Van Halen Frankenstrat and did an absolutely great job with it. Isn't that comparable ? I for example could argue the same way you did and say 'well, I wouldn't rebuild the Knight Rider or James Bond car. I think it's pointless'. No, actually I think it's just taste and taste is different.
Most of the super high grain bursts out there sometimes really make me think 'If Liberace would have played guitar...that would have been his choice'...But, it's taste...Some people love neon pink guitars, some like them with amber burst birds eye tops and some like them ...relic'ed. Just a finish in the end...nothing to get upset about and like I said...it was simply meant as a 'suggestion' since there seems to be a market for that sort of thing (including myself maybe).

Well-argued, vegababy. I also think relic guitars are dumb but I'd rather have a well-relicd one than the fishing lures (green-yellow burst on quilt maple for instance) that most of you guys are crazy about.

Quote from: Alfang on January 30, 2008, 09:51:55 am
Is it just me, or does anyone else see smuggleing guitar bodies to NonsenseTele as a lucrative venture?

Why soooooo much hate??? 

[The meaning of smuggleing is this one at Urban Dictionary?
5. smuggle 
  To put something (anything) in your butt. ]

:laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

i'm sorry i just found that hilarious.

no offense, we use some pretty weird slang words is english and diferent countries, states and even city have a unique way of speaking. there is no way i'd expect you to have understood but that doesn't make it any less funny to me, i'm sorry to laugh at you expense. really i am.

"[The meaning of smuggleing is this one at Urban Dictionary?
5. smuggle 
  To put something (anything) in your butt. ]"

you could also say "Butt Smuggler" LOL

Brian

DiMitriR33 said:
:laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

i'm sorry i just found that hilarious.

no offense, we use some pretty weird slang words is english and diferent countries, states and even city have a unique way of speaking. there is no way i'd expect you to have understood but that doesn't make it any less funny to me, i'm sorry to laugh at you expense. really i am.

It's very hilarious... When I looked at it on Urban dic. I laughed so much and, at same time, I thought: "I must be really idiot to guys think in put a guitar in my butt" :laughing3:

And I agree with Veganbaby...
Make/have a copy of a signature guitar is as strange as have a "new vintage-made-guitar"  :icon_biggrin:

Back