Relic finish, gloss, semi gloss, or satin?

arealken

Hi folks. I am making a relic sTRAT guitar. Wood is Poplar 2 tone burst. I want it to look like a old 50's Strat. Would one use a gloss, a semi gloss, or a Satin? I will be using Minwax rattle can Lacquer. It seems that most of the info. I have read, people are saying Satin is the same as semi gloss, however that isnt waht the lacquer can says, as Minwax has gloss, semi gloss , satin, and matte IIRC.
I want it to look like this;
https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--agodO8tb--/f_auto,t_supersize/v1621974399/pmtjigwhf8lcelauycgr.jpg

Also, they make twqo kinds od =f sprays, one is "oil based". What does that mean, and is that good for a guitar?

I did just this awhile back.  I found satin worked the best.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
Mayfly ... (not to hijack  the thread) but ....  I was thinking about making a 12 string and I'm dithering about what kind of pick-ups ... how do you like the pups you got and what kind are they?

A vote for satin here, or do gloss and play it for 25 years.

rick2 said:
Mayfly ... (not to hijack  the thread) but ....  I was thinking about making a 12 string and I'm dithering about what kind of pick-ups ... how do you like the pups you got and what kind are they?

They are kent armstrong lipstick pickups.  I find that the e strings don't ring as loudly as I would like with them.  Actually thinking of switching to basic strat pickups.

Back