Regal vs Royale

I think the Regal was supposed to be the Les Paul replacement, but for my money the Royale is a better-looking design.

I think the Royale is more akin to the former VW body, although all the current instocks look to be TOM bridges.

*edit* was thinking of the Velocity, sorry.

Cagey said:
I think the Regal was supposed to be the Les Paul replacement, but for my money the Royale is a better-looking design.

Thanks Cagey!  If I may ask, is your winning guitar a Regal model?  Gorgeous instrument you got there my friend!  Thanks for any info anyone can share about the real difference between Regal and Royal designs/makes/models.  I have one Royale and I am fully satisfied but now want to do one more similar model and figured I'd take a short time to decide between Regal and Royale.  Like I said, that green guitar is beautiful!

Thanks! That's not a Regal, it's a Warmoth copy of a Gibson L5S body that I modified a bit to suit me. It originally was drilled for a TOM/STP bridge, dual volume and tone controls with the pickup selector down in the control area. I plugged all the holes with dowel and redrilled for the Bigsby and a single volume/tone, then moved the selector to the upper bout. It's reasonably documented here, if you want to see how it came to life.

Sweet looking and I'll bet sounds as good as she looks?
I will read its life story now.....thanks for sharing!

Does anyone have further information between differences between the Regal and Royale models?  I'm looking at building one or the other and would appreciate any recommendations and info.
Thanks!

The Regal is a spin on the traditional LP style. The Royale is another variation on that theme, with similar construction. It's more similar to the Regal than the old VW style.

The differences are mainly aesthetic and no contrast in sound like strats/LP's/teles, etc?
Thanks so much!

Yep. The differences are mostly aesthetic. Essentially the same body under the hood. Just different perimeter shapes.

I love what they did with the Regal. I think it looks awesome. But in my opinion the Royale looks like a bad Schecter design. DNW.

Back