Refretting a Neck with LSR Nut

bonga

Hey Folks,

I have an American Deluxe guitar which has an LSR nut on it. I really like the fact that this guitar rarely goes out of tune and I assume that has a lot to do with the nut.

I am planning on refretting the guitar with stainless steel frets - 6100. Now the guitar comes stock with medium frets (Which are pretty worn out at this point).

My question is, can I do this considering the fact that I have an LSR nut? My primary concern is about fret height since I don't know whether you can raise or lower the LSR nut. Has anyone put jumbo frets on a guitar with LSR nut that previously had smaller fret wire?

Thanks!

I've got two necks with LSR nuts and 6100s on them. There are shims that come with the nut to raise it if necessary. You simply loosen the two screws that hold it in place, insert shims as needed, and tighten it back down. Note that you must use a 0-size philips screwdriver, or you will wreck those screw heads. If you wreck the screws anyway, replacements are available here. If you didn't install the nut originally and don't have the shim set, replacements are only available in your dreams. I've never been able to find them in real life. But, grab a spare aluminum beer or pop can and cut your own. They're thin enough that you can deal with that metal with a decent pair of standard scissors.

Most real hardware stores sell "Brass Shim Stock" for $1.99

Get the thinnest (maybe .005" ) and simply stack it up until you have .018 - .02" gap between the bottom of the strings and the top of the first fret.

A drop of white glue will hold it all in place once you get it right. 

Directions:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/installing-lsr-fender-roller-nut.418503/

Back