Recessed Tune-o-matic question

dmraco

Master Member
I have a very cool solid brass Tune-o-Matic bridge that I want to use on a current vintage Framus style build from some 100 year old pine I have.    Since creating an angled pocket is beyond my ability I am considering two things.

-Using the StewMac shims in the pocket.  I would assume I could use a 16mm (stock depth) and add a shim.  Does anyone know what the degree I need to go?  Warmoth does not specify on their site.  I do remember something like 2-3 degrees.  The biggest shim stew mac makes is 1 degree.    This would be the easiest.

--Recess the bridge.    If I do this how deep would I need to go?  I know some builders do this and it looks pretty cool as well.  A bit more difficult since a router is like a loaded gun in my hands  :laughing8:

---I assume simply raising the neck pocket (not routing it so deep)  will not work.  One, it will look odd and I may not get a good string break angle.

Thanks everyone!!

Your average, if there is such a thing, TOM needs a neck angle of around 2-2 1/2 deg. Les Pauls are between 3-5 deg. I'm using a Gotoh wraparound bridge on my latest Tele and I set the neck pocket at just short of 2.5 deg. and it seems just about right. You could get 2 of the 1deg shims and see how it does.

For a non recessed this information is on the Warmoth side but not under neck pockets but rather bridge options

Gibson® Type Bridge Mounting
These bridges require 1.5 - 2 degree angled neck pocket.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BridgeRoutingOptions.aspx#TuneO

If it helps, according to my drawings a 2 degree neck pocket angle adds about 1/4" string height at the bridge.

It occurs to me that further explanation might help. The angle needed will depend on several factors. The thickness of the heel on the guitars neck, the depth of the pocket in the body, and whether the body is flat faced or carved in some way. If you are going with a Warmoth neck and make the pocket in the body 5/8 deep, then go with Warmoth's recommended angle. If the depth of the pocket will vary from 5/8 then further calculations will be necessary.  Basically, the deeper the pocket the more angle is needed, the shallower the pocket the less angle is needed. Hope this helps. :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
It occurs to me that further explanation might help. The angle needed will depend on several factors. The thickness of the heel on the guitars neck, the depth of the pocket in the body, and whether the body is flat faced or carved in some way. If you are going with a Warmoth neck and make the pocket in the body 5/8 deep, then go with Warmoth's recommended angle. If the depth of the pocket will vary from 5/8 then further calculations will be necessary.  Basically, the deeper the pocket the more angle is needed, the shallower the pocket the less angle is needed. Hope this helps. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the input.  I am using a warmoth neck and keeping the specs exactly to warmoth/fender for depth.  16mm.

Back