Really cool/nerdy

hannaugh

Master Member
Yesterday (yes, St. Pat's) was the 4 year anniversary of my first date with my fiance.  He usually gets me guitar stuff on special occasions when we give gifts, so I was expecting something like that.  This time, however...

Another obsession of mine is pirates.  He and I go to the Ren Faire every year, and I have a full on pirate costume with a real sword and a replica gun, the whole 9 yards.

So what did he get me?  A REAL piece of eight.  It has a certificate of authenticity and everything.  It was found in a 300 year old shipwreck.  How cool is that?!?!

You'll have my excuse my pirate-atical ignorance, but what exactly is a piece of eight?  :) 

taez555 said:
You'll have my excuse my pirate-atical ignorance, but what exactly is a piece of eight?  :)   

Spanish Currency, also known as a Real-Eight. Yarr!

Max said:
Pirates, Holy Grail, Guitars....

Your husband is a lucky guy :p

That's why nerd girls are the best.

Here are some pics:

3365846183_56ebf6c3b3.jpg

3365845917_9d98bbe705.jpg

3366689632_9a2f0e0a3b_o.jpg

Actually, that's funny you should joke that vintage coins have good tone, because the first thing my future husband said when he gave it to me was "It makes a really cool sound when you flip it".

Have you tried using it as a pick, Billy Gibbons or Brian May styleeeee?
:icon_tongue:

Aaar... Pirates are cool... Where I live, we have the Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival every first weekend in June (think Mardi Gras on water) and they bring in this big pirate ship and capture the town. Is a total blast! Actually hoping my band will play the festival this year.

Right on with the coin. I've always wanted some pieces of eight and pirate trinkets like that.

me and some of my friends always made a point to go to the Ren Faires. they were so fun! I mean, whats cooler than carrying around a sword in public? 
link_sword.gif

stormbringer said:
Aaar... Pirates are cool... Where I live, we have the Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival every first weekend in June (think Mardi Gras on water) and they bring in this big pirate ship and capture the town. Is a total blast! Actually hoping my band will play the festival this year.

Right on with the coin. I've always wanted some pieces of eight and pirate trinkets like that.

Wow, that sounds like fun!

I love faires.  I have a standard wench costume and my pirate getup.  We usually go twice, so I switch them out.  My fiance goes as a knight, he has a really nice costume that we made a few years ago, a broadsword, and he makes chain maille as a hobby, so sometimes he wears that too.  We have a motley crew of theater friends that we go with, and everyone dresses up.  We sneak in extra beer (since the beer inside is really expensive) and put it in our tankards, buy some turkey legs and toad in the hole, and get very rowdy by the end of the day.  Before we get too drunk we like to go to the archery booth and put everyone else to shame since a lot of us used to be on our school's archery team.  Sooo much fun.  Faire is one of the big highlights of the year. 

That's a really sweet gift :)

Made me think of this song...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5D3FMioSoc[/youtube]

hannaugh said:
stormbringer said:

I love faires.  I have a standard wench costume and my pirate getup.  We usually go twice, so I switch them out.  My fiance goes as a knight, he has a really nice costume that we made a few years ago, a broadsword, and he makes chain maille as a hobby, so sometimes he wears that too.  We have a motley crew of theater friends that we go with, and everyone dresses up.  We sneak in extra beer (since the beer inside is really expensive) and put it in our tankards, buy some turkey legs and toad in the hole, and get very rowdy by the end of the day.  Before we get too drunk we like to go to the archery booth and put everyone else to shame since a lot of us used to be on our school's archery team.  Sooo much fun.  Faire is one of the big highlights of the year. 

you should check this out http://www.ocregister.com/articles/ships-festival-dana-2145628-tall-ocean they do it every year and alot of pirate things going on

Wow, that sounds like fun!

I really wanted to do the Tall Ship Festival this last time around, but alas, it was $65 to get in, and I didn't have the cash at the time.  It sounds really cool though. 

I've been on the tall ships at Dana Point a few times, but I have never gotten to go out sailing on one.  They were always docked. 

They also have this thing you can do for a summer where you get to be a sailor on the Lady Washington (which if I'm not mistaken, played the Interceptor in Pirates of the Carribean), and you can learn all about sailing and what life was like on board a ship.  If I could afford to take a summer off without pay, and if I wasn't scared of climbing up the netting, I would totally do it.  A friend of a friend did it, and she said it was a really amazing experience.

Nothing beats a good Reen Faire!  We have 2 good ones here in NC.  My wife does costumes so we (Wife, me and the kids) dress up and go every year.  Roast turkey legs and beer! :blob7:

Back