Ready for my project!!! ideas?

po_0784

(sorry for my poor english skills)

Hey people,
                just won a wonderfull pickguard already loaded with texas specials.... now, there's nothing that can get between me and my warmoth project :eek:D. Been waiting 2 years before doing it!!! Now, im waiting for a cool scalloped neck to jump in the showcase  :redflag: (do more of them warmoth!). Id like to ask you people some questions... Now, I know they have been asked a million times, but anyways.

1 ) is there any tonal difference between the warmoth pro neck and the vintage one (does the truss rod affect the sound?).
2 ) do you people have problems with unfinished neck (do you feel your hand "dragging" against it? does it bothers you?) I like to play real crazy stuff
3) what about the sound of different neck wood?
4) any good idea for a tremolo, Ive been mainly using non tremolo guitars before (also a floyd rose equipped guitar, but I never use the trem, so...). Id like something efficient, smooth and with a whammy bar that doesnt "float" in the trem hole. Something that feel precise.

5) Lastly, I dont see many neck in the showcase with 6100 frets or the biggest SS frets... can someone tell me why? Ive been a fan of jumbo frets for a long time. Maybe I missed the bus  :icon_scratch:

Well, thks a lot for the info, im really hyped about this project  :hello2:

Feel free to share your opinions and different ideas! Thks

PO Merizzi

1. I seriously doubt you will notice any difference in tone, I would go warmoth pro.
2. I find there is actually a lot less drag on an unfinished neck, and that they are faster/ more comfortable to play. I have played Goncalo Alves, Wenge, Bubinga - I like em, try some out if you can (lots of boutique basses have unfinished necks)
3. Check warmoth's site for neck wood descriptions and also the neck woods forum on this site.
4. I'm not much for whammy bars but have heard good things about hipshot and wilkinson, would probably get one of those if I was building a guitar with vibrato.
5. Most showcase necks you get to pick which frets you want.

Hey I was just poking around the showcase and found this you might like! Full scallop + 6100 frets
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=SN4779

Have fun!!!  :cool01:

1 ) is there any tonal difference between the warmoth pro neck and the vintage one (does the truss rod affect the sound?).

Some people claim that there is, but to my ear there's really no difference if comparing to the exact same wood configuration.

2 ) do you people have problems with unfinished neck (do you feel your hand "dragging" against it? does it bothers you?) I like to play real crazy stuff

Never, and I have several different raw exotic necks - pau ferro, canary, rosewood and wenge

3) what about the sound of different neck wood?

Again, this is somewhat subjective, and you need to give something to do a comparison on

4) any good idea for a tremolo, Ive been mainly using non tremolo guitars before (also a floyd rose equipped guitar, but I never use the trem, so...). Id like something efficient, smooth and with a whammy bar that doesnt "float" in the trem hole. Something that feel precise.

Try the Wilkinson

5) Lastly, I dont see many neck in the showcase with 6100 frets or the biggest SS frets... can someone tell me why? Ive been a fan of jumbo frets for a long time. Maybe I missed the bus

There are very few necks that are already fretted on the Showcase, just order whatever fret size you want

Remember that the Stainless frets do not wear like the nickel brass ones.  The SS6105 frets are not that much smaller with kind of a more vintage look, but they are not much smaller.  I have read that the smaller frets intonate better, but I could not tell you if that is true.  Back to the point about wear.  You do not need railroad tracks for frets with stainless because they don't wear fast.  They are harder and they feel a lot slipperier (not sure if that is a word) or they feel slick to bend on.  It is best to try them out first, but I made the leap without trying them.  I went from jumbo shred style frets to Stainless ones, and I wouldn't go back.
Patrick

Thks for the opinions guys! I did see that neck in the showcase ;o). Gloss finish only for me!

Back