Raw VS satin VS glossy

hannaugh

Master Member
What kind of finish do you have on your neck(s) and which is your favorite?

The satin finish on my maple LP neck is amazing.  I thought my other guitar had a satin finish (which it does) because it's not glossy, and it's very nice.  But the LP neck is so soft and smooth in comparison.  I'm loving it. 

Someone compared raw necks vs finished necks to making love with and without condom...

I do agree...
So enjoy freely as you won't get STDs with Wenge or/AND* Rosewood  :laughing7:

* wood's poligamy is well accepted in this board :toothy12:

I have all three, and each one is cool in its own right.  But the raw exotic woods are the coolest.  :icon_thumright:

Someday I want either an all ebony or all Indian Rosewood neck, unfinished.  That just sounds amazing.

hannaugh said:
Someday I want either an all ebony or all Indian Rosewood neck, unfinished.  That just sounds amazing.

Consider Wenge...its awesome!  Especially paired to a Black Korina body.

hmmmmmmmm Wenge! Chocolat-y
I have a couple of stock guitars with finished maple that I love, but for Warmoth.... raw exotics all the way!

Raw is really nice.  Forget finishes.  Once you've tried it the choice is just WHICH raw neck do you choose.

Fernando, that is an interesting analogy.  :tard:

I haven't tried a raw neck yet but I doubt I'll get as aroused as some of the people here (uh sex without a condom? this is a guitar, not a penis you perv :laughing7: ). I have glossy and satin and I have no preference for either. As long as the gloss isn't nitro I like it. Nitro gloss tends to get all gummed up - in my experience. That's how my Gibson V neck was. It would get kind of sticky and gross after a while. My LP neck is trans-red gloss and it's perfect. My Parker has a satin finish. I like that a lot too. As long as it's not sticky it's good to me.

I've not played any of Warmoth's gloss or satin but of course I have played plenty of other manufacturers finished necks. I'd say that satin and glossy are about equal for me as I prefer glossy on a large Gibson style neck and satin on a small Fender style neck. Of course though I prefer raw wood to either, the raw Pau Ferro neck on my strat is easily the best neck I've ever used. I reckon my next build (could be a while) will have a Wenge neck.

It would be gorgeous, but alas, I'm not going to build another Warmoth for some time because I want to save up.  The next big music purhcase is gonna be a nice acoustic, probably a Taylor.

After that, who knows!?  I've been dreaming about the SG, and I think I also "need" a Jaguar and an L5.  A Strat and a Tele would be fun too. 

DocNrock said:
hannaugh said:

I currently have a black Korina body on order.  Will be buying a neck later.  Could you give me an idea of the sound combination of both?
Thanks

Assumer said:
DocNrock said:
hannaugh said:

I currently have a black Korina body on order.  Will be buying a neck later.  Could you give me an idea of the sound combination of both?
Thanks

Black korina with all rosewood neck. Has a full warm sound that will ring to the end of time.

RedStrat.jpg

When it comes down to it, I am still a satin maple guy. Maple more for tone than anything. But the Indian Rosewood on my Invader is just addictive it's so smooth, it really exceeded my expectations.  My Goncalo has a slightly waxy feel, which is very nice.... tone is super mellow. My Fender's are mostly glossy, some nitro some poly, all nice.

Super smooth is almost distracting to me when playing, maybe because I am used to gloss necks?

If you want super smooth try a few passes on the neck with 4000, 6000, and 8000 sand paper.

Back