R3 or R4

shanejw

I had my neck routed for an R4 nut but I was wondering if an R3 would fit in the same spot with no modifications.  I'm assuming the holes on the back of the neck would line up for either nut.  thanks

The difference between an R3 and a R4 is string spacing.  IIRC the R3 uses a narrowed spacing than the R4.  Both are 1 11/16" overall width.  I believe mountings are identical.

I think R3 and R4 are identical, just the spacing. Some people use R3s who want more distance from the e strings to the fretboard or have binding on a 1 11/16"  neck.

My bad, nit really into locking systems was thinking R2 -> R3 it's string spacing, narrrow/wide

Vegababy said:
I think R3 and R4 are identical, just the spacing. Some people use R3s who want more distance from the e strings to the fretboard or have binding on a 1 11/16"  neck.

That's correct. Taking it a bit further, R2-R5 are interchangeable as far as through-neck mounting bolts go. I like to use R2 nuts on a 1 11/16" width for really close spacing and max clearance of the edge of the board.
But I digress. R3 is more narrow strong spacing than R4, but they're both 1 11/16" wide.

R3 narrow R4 wide, that's right but i can't find anywhere what spacing they are in terms of figures. Does anyone know how much is narrow and how much is wide. I'am afraid R4 + wide Floyd spacing would cause strings to close to fret edges.

woj74 said:
R3 narrow R4 wide, that's right but i can't find anywhere what spacing they are in terms of figures. Does anyone know how much is narrow and how much is wide. I'am afraid R4 + wide Floyd spacing would cause strings to close to fret edges.

I think R4 is pretty much normal on a 1 11/16" neck. It's like putting an R2 on a 1 5/8" neck. If you put a R3 on, the strings would be quite narrow...like on a 1 5/8" neck. Like I said before, usually R3 is used if you have a 1 11/16" with binding. Then the srings should be closer together because the binding doesn't really count as fretboard.

I'd go with R4. Good thing is if you don't like it you can still order a R3 and change them. They'll both fit your 1 11/16" neck, it'll just be a different string spacing.

Thanks Vegababy. I'm just about to order parts for my project. This is the first Floyd and ordering from Poland. Wanna be 200% sure since mistakes will cost me a fortune. I think R4 is the right one too but it's always reasonable to follow a good advice from experienced people.

Back