Quilted Strat Custom

jackthehack

Epic Member
Still finishing up left over lacquer work on projects curtailed by the winter from hell here in flyover country...  This turned into a Strat "Custom" as i was loaded when I ordered the body and accidently ordered the middle humbucker route. This was my first dye job and drove me crazy, at one point people on the board dubbed it the "SalmonCaster", and althougfh it wound up turning out a bit different than I originally envisioned, I'm pretty happy with it. Major issue from original plan is that Black Korina does NOT play nicely with dye, and most products will turn out a completely different color on the Black Korina side from a figured maple top. I've included a number of photos from various stages of the final body finishing as the crazy thing about the way this turned out is that almost every picture turns out differently based on lighting and the angle the light hits the body at.

Body: 5A Quilt Maple top on Black Korina, chrome hardware with cream knobs/accents, 6 hole vintage bridge, final base dye coat was Tandy Med. Brown leather dye sanded back on Quilt then a mixture of Woodburst AZO Yellow and Honey Oak to fill the sandback and many coats of nitro lacquer

Neck: Raw Warmoth Pro 10/16, Dark Pau Ferro with streaked Ebony Fretboard, 1 5/8" graphite nut, SS6105 frets, Fender labeled Ping style tuners

Electronics: Neck and bridge PUs are a Rio Grande TX/BBQ set, middle PU SD Jazz, typical Strat wiring with 5-way switch, but used a 500K CTS vol pot, 250K tone pots, .047 Mylar cap.

Note: The only thing I'm not happy with is the SD Jazz Pu in middle position, was trying to get an alternate tone with the middle pickup, but it doesn't have enough output/balls to co-exist with the RG pickups, may replace with another RG TX humbucker or something else when I make up my mind....
qcustom1.jpg

qcustom2.jpg

qcustom3.jpg

qmd3.jpg

qmd41.jpg

qmd5.JPG

qmdf.JPG

Another beautiful build, Jack.  Here's a thought:  perhaps you could try the RG in the middle and put the Jazz in the neck slot?

DocNrock said:
Another beautiful build, Jack.  Here's a thought:  perhaps you could try the RG in the middle and put the Jazz in the neck slot?

Thanks! I actually tried that, doesn't work for me, and there's still too much disparity in output.

If you decided to branch out of RGs, try a DiMarzio Air Norton.  Great pup.  Ballsy crunch, and cleans up really nice.  A bit hotter than the Seymour Jazz but still a moderate output pup (270 mV, 12.58 DC resistance).  Cool harmonics, also.  I have one in my LP.

awesome job. looks great. how is the pau ferro neck? i heard they were heavy. +1 on the air norton pickups, make a great neck pickup.

Nice, very nice.....You got any room to turn that volume know.....Looks auful tight...... :toothy12:

i would usually criticize something like 3 buckers in a strat

but YOU, sir, have definitely beaten the odds of bad taste

the top is killer, and now that i think of it, i wouldnt rear rout without humbuckers

the neck is brilllllllllllllllllllliant, just my style

congrats
:guitaristgif:

Back