Questions about the Schaller Floyd Rose:

Mapleg4

1: What would the advantages of having a recessed Schaller Floyd be?
2: What locking nut width would you recommend?

This would apply to both the Schaller and the OFR.  If you like to pull up on the trem, the bolts on the back of the bridge have the potential to destroy your finish there.  Recessed, there can be a thin piece of foam there so that if you get too into whammy mahem, then the wood is protected.  Also, if you don't recess, then you'll need an angled neck slot.  If you don't pull up very aggressively, then it would depend mostly upon how the playing position feels to you (higher or lower bridge).  I personally like the lower bridge level.  If you're not sure, then go into a store and try out a couple, recessed and non-recessed. 

As far as the nut width, that depends upon your preferences.

DocNrock said:
This would apply to both the Schaller and the OFR.  If you like to pull up on the trem, the bolts on the back of the bridge have the potential to destroy your finish there.  Recessed, there can be a thin piece of foam there so that if you get too into whammy mahem, then the wood is protected.  Also, if you don't recess, then you'll need an angled neck slot.  If you don't pull up very aggressively, then it would depend mostly upon how the playing position feels to you (higher or lower bridge).  I personally like the lower bridge level.  If you're not sure, then go into a store and try out a couple, recessed and non-recessed. 

As far as the nut width, that depends upon your preferences.

Stupid question, but is it possible to go down as much as an octave on a Floyd, and would recessed or non-recessed be the best for it?
What is the max you can raise or lower the pitch with a Floyd?

You need to go into a store and try one.  You can dive until the strings go slack.  I personally would always do a recessed route.  I don't pull up extensively, I tend to bend for that, so I can't answer that question.

DocNrock said:
You need to go into a store and try one.  You can dive until the strings go slack.  I personally would always do a recessed route.  I don't pull up extensively, I tend to bend for that, so I can't answer that question.

Can Warmoth install the studs for the FR bridges?

Yes, for $10, but you have to buy the floyd from them.  You might be able to mail them the studs -- you'll need to call to find out.

Back