Question!

JTH

First off, let me say hello to all you folks. I'm new to the forum so please forgive me for asking what some may think is a dumb question. I just recieved my new OFR today and was concerned as to how far you are suppose to insert the bridge posts.  Do you just insert them to body level? Or all the way down flush with the recess? This is the first OFR I have installed and I thought I better ask questions first rather then clear up mistakes later.

(it's always a good idea to be more concise on what you're working on, tell, or better yet show us what kind of guitar it is, whether or not your guitar is already routed for a floyd or if you're doing a retrofit,
just telling us you're installing a floyd rose doesn't really let us know how we can help)  :icon_thumright:

but from my understanding you'll want to insert the length of the larger part of the stud into the body, leaving the smaller end out of the body, this is where the bridge touches and pivots from, the bridge should be as level as possible when on the studs.
now i'm just restating already present information here.and i don't own a floyd rose equipped guitar, but i have set them up before, however i've never installed one, so i hope someone else will chime in here.

but at a glance, it seems like they need to be out of the body just enough to allow for the movement of the bridge in the range of what the springs will stretch to, and depending on whether it's recessed or flat mount will change which directions it can move.
so any more info you have on what your build is routed for will help alot.

best regards

Welcome!
Are you talking about the inserts/bushings that the posts screw into or the posts that the bridge pivots on?

If you're talking about the inserts/bushings, those are typically mounted flush with the surrounding wood, i.e. the recess.

The posts the bridge pivots on should be adjusted to your liking really, but are typically set so that the bridge plate is just above the body, but it's more about preference on that height. I like mine just above the body...kinda like this "--__"

The inserts should be flush with the wood...i.e. there should not be any proud of the surface.

They will ba a very tight fit (on a Warmoth body drilled for Floyd inserts).
But don't be tempted to drill out the holes to make them easier to fit.
This will cause the inserts to tip forward (towards the neck) when the guitar is strung up.

Thanks guys...Maltozombie, you were correct..I could have explained the issue in greater detail. I was just so jazzed that the OFR had finaly arrived I wasn't thinking clearly!

Muyfue.. yep, that was it..I was speaking of the bushings for the bridge posts. I should have explained that the body was routed for the OFR and I was concerned if the bushings should be installed flush with the recess level wood.

Funky Phil, yes you are right it is a Warmoth strat body routed with a OFR recess. thank you for you help on the reply.

Installed the bushing just fine, set level of the bridge and all is great! By the way Funky Phil, The bushing holes were just fine. Just needed to tap with a wood dowel to install.

Again, thank you all for your responses!  They were and are very valued by me.

Ok, folks!  How come I knew you guys would ask for pics next....Ok, so all I have to do is attach the pics to me post right?  Remember, I'm new and I'm not sure about this stuff!
I'll send them for sure tomorrow afternoon...Hang tight guys.  I forgot you folks love the pics as much as the guitars. Agian, WHAT was I thinking? :laughing7:

oK, here we go guys. Best I can do with that camera!  Congrats Mully...Nice works!

Thanks guys all in all most positive responses!  Unwound G..Sorry no I did not route the battery cavity, Warmoth did that for me. It was a rather rushed job as it was a gift to my brother for his birthday. It was taking so long to get the OFR that I thought it would be late. Added the fact that I had not installed a OFR before,  hence the original question that started the thread. He's very pleased with the guitar and swears its the best playing Strat ever he's touch!  So, that makes me very happy. My brother thanks all of you with the advice that you all you guys have suppllied and I for one, thank all you folks here...Its forums like this that keep me going with my building! :headbang: :headbang:

Back