Question about sound from wiring

TTU Shredder

First off I should probably give you the specs so you know what I am doing.

2 Hum/2 Vol/1 Tone/3 Way

I am using the schematic from here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_1t_3w

After wiring it all up and starting to play it, i started to notice a few weird things going on. First of all, right as the tone knob is almost turned all the way to one side a huge change in tone happens. It isn't a swell at all, its more of the tone just jumps out of no where. The second thing going on is that when the three way is in the bridge or the neck position, it will not turn off the opposite pickup. Then there is the volume knobs, they dont seem to be doing their job either. When turning them there is no change in volume for the most part, unless there is heavy distortion. I have checked, checked and triple checked the wiring with the schematic and they match up perfectly. Has anybody had a problem like this before?

This sounds odd, pics may help.

I really really hate to say it, but most of the time it turns out to be a wiring mistake.  Use tape and a pen to tag all the wires and then check for continuity (or proper lack of continuity) on all connections with a meter.  Also check the pots and switches for proper readings. 

Before you do any of that, go relax for a bit.  Fresh eyes can see what frantic ones do not.

I know this is a annoying question, but did you use audio taper pots?  Your description is really close to what linear taper pots sound like.  You can check by turning the pot half way and checking the ohm reading, if it is half of what the pot value is, then it is linear.
Patrick

ps A500K are Audio 500K, and B500K are linear 500K pots

My first thought was also linear pots, but it sound also like theres another issue, for which pics would help

I just double checked your schematic, It looks fine.

Doublecheck to ensure your ground path is correct and includes the pots and the proper tab on the pot is grounded, sound like your volume pot posts are not grounded, and therefore not shedding signal to gnd.

I always look at my wiring as two separate systems, the logic path for your signal, switching, volume , tone, etc.. and the ground path.  You gotta have both and it's easy to get it wrong.

before anyone chimes in to correct me about looking at this as 2 separate systems, I know its all one circuit and not 2, It's the electrician in me terminating all the grounds and neutrals before terming the hots

Good luck

Ok, so I took a few days off and decided to try wiring it as a 2 Hum/2 Vol/3 Way as seen here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_3w

It is still acting funny, so it definitely was not the tone pot. I was able to take one decent picture of the neck pot for you to see. Each are wired just as the schematic says, but maybe you can see something wrong with this pot. Since they are both acting the same maybe you can see one thing wrong with this that can possibly be wrong with the bridge pickup. Thanks.

I really think it's one simple thing youv'e overlooked, and when you see it your gonna say Doh!

Many of us here have used the SD schematics with great results, so much so that I think most of us here would be surprised to see an error in their schematics.

After all it's their business and i'm sure they got a smart group putting those together for us all

I've also looked that diagram over a few times and can find nothing wrong with it. 

According to that diagram there's only one place the signal paths meet up, the 3 way.  It kind of sounds like the switch leads might be shorting together.  Is there anything conductive near the 3-way (shielding tape, paint, etc)?  Also did you heat shrink or tape up the switch leads?  Might be a bad switch too, but its not real likely.

Im an idiot, i forgot to post the picture....

Now that I did that, there has to be something I forgot!

Sorry its semi cut off. For some reason taking it at this angle was the only way for the camera to focus on the pot and only this pot for some reason.

After looking at that picture, which tells us nothing about the circuit, my guess is you've fried the pots by getting them too hot and melting the internals. New pots, careful with the solder.
ou may want to consider grounding to an eyelet or screw instead of to the back of the pots, to be sure and not ruin them. Just screw something like a little eyelet into the side of the cavity and ground everything to that, and leave the backs of the pots alone.

I think I am going to take the safe road and take my guitar down to the local shop and have them wire it. I would much rather have it done right than me to ruin it more and more. Thanks for the tips guys. It was a good learning experience. On my next build I will have to attempt this again.

TTU Shredder said:
First off I should probably give you the specs so you know what I am doing.

2 Hum/2 Vol/1 Tone/3 Way

I am using the schematic from here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_1t_3w

This the schematic I used to wire up my VW.  I used a tele style stitch rather then a toggle but everything worked as it should.

TTU Shredder said:
I think I am going to take the safe road and take my guitar down to the local shop and have them wire it. I would much rather have it done right than me to ruin it more and more. Thanks for the tips guys. It was a good learning experience. On my next build I will have to attempt this again.

Lord know's I've been there... haha.  Good luck man!

Back