question about fretboard wood

Krincabeche

hi all, I'm about too built my 2nd warmoth guitar
I ordered the body, it's gonna be a black korina std tele body finished in a tobbaco burst,
now I have to make my mind about the neck...
I'm about 95% sure I'll order a goncalo fat back or boatneck (my 1st built got a goncalo/pao ferro boat neck that I love!)
but I'm still unsure about the fretboard that I will choose... I love the pao ferro, but I'd like something difrent, maybe darker... I think that the tobacco burst will look best with a darker fretboard ??

I thought about ebony, but I red here and there that ebony fretboard tend to move with moisture/temperature variation (where I live, moisture goes from 80% to 15% and temperature from -30C to + 30C )...
madacascar ebony is one of my favorite, but I assume it's the same as std ebony ???
so if you could point me fretboard wood that are stable and look good...
I'm open to sugestions... juste explain why you'd go for it
thanks

Pau Ferro will look fine there ;)
The streaks of brown and red look great with tobacco burst.

Krincabeche said:
I thought about ebony, but I red here and there that ebony fretboard tend to move with moisture/temperature variation (where I live, moisture goes from 80% to 15% and temperature from -30C to + 30C )...
madacascar ebony is one of my favorite, but I assume it's the same as std ebony ???

All wood will move given enough moisture/temperature changes.  I've owned quite a few basses over the decades with ebony boards and have yet to experience any issues with them.  Ebony is a very stable wood.  If you like the look of macassar, go for it.

Where do you live that goes from -30° to +30°C? ???

I would go for a dark brazilian rosewood, like this:
FB324a.jpg
FB324 on Unique Choice

or Macassar Ebony...

Just because I like dark fingerboards better than light brownish

Canada, so no brazilian rosewood without cheating...

+30º C in Canada?? I don't f&*%$# believe :p you shall have misspelled: from -30 to -30 :laughing7:

NonsenseTele said:
+30º C in Canada?? I don't f&*%$# believe :p you shall have misspelled: from -30 to -30 :laughing7:

He speaks the truth, Nonsense...  In Nova Scotia (if you factor in the humidity) it can approach 40C in summer time, and (if you factor in the windchill) can approach -40C in the wintertime  :laughing7:

Even without humidity and wind, -30C and 30C are pretty extreme on their own...

NonsenseTele said:
Where do you live that goes from -30° to +30°C? ???

I would go for a dark brazilian rosewood, like this:
FB324a.jpg
FB324 on Unique Choice

or Macassar Ebony...

Just because I like dark fingerboards better than light brownish
Ewwwwwwwwh, that's just sweet Fernando.....I like that board.... :icon_thumright:

Krincabeche said:
hi all, I'm about too built my 2nd warmoth guitar
I ordered the body, it's gonna be a black korina std tele body finished in a tobbaco burst,
now I have to make my mind about the neck...
I'm about 95% sure I'll order a goncalo fat back or boatneck (my 1st built got a goncalo/pao ferro boat neck that I love!)
but I'm still unsure about the fretboard that I will choose... I love the pao ferro, but I'd like something difrent, maybe darker... I think that the tobacco burst will look best with a darker fretboard ??

I'm open to sugestions... juste explain why you'd go for it
thanks
Have you thought about ziricote, it makes for some sweet ass fretboards. I got 3 with ziricote, 2 here with me and one being made...Slick as butta....And some beautiful wood...
FB237a.jpg

NonsenseTele said:
Canada, so no brazilian rosewood without cheating...

I've seen in Canada -30 and +30 (often) all the time. It rarely goes above +35, but +25 to +30 isn't rare.

As to the OP - maybe get Pau Ferro but request that they use a really dark piece? I've seen some in the showcase that are super light, but also some that rival macassary ebony for darkness.

hum interesting, I could try to ask for a darker pao ferro fretboard it will be cheaper than madagascar ebony...
zirocte seems fine too... but based on what I saw on the "exclusive fretboard choice" zircote seems to go from beautifull to "not my kind" ;)
all piece of madagascar ebony are stunning!
keep on the good sugestions!

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7932.0
This is a friends of mine's tele, it has similar specs to the one your about to build: tobacco burst, goncalo neck. It has a ziricote fretboard and looks great in person (picture doesn't do it justice). You could also look at kingwood.

Xplorervoodoo said:
NonsenseTele said:

He speaks the truth, Nonsense...  In Nova Scotia (if you factor in the humidity) it can approach 40C in summer time, and (if you factor in the windchill) can approach -40C in the wintertime  :laughing7:

Yep.  Where I'm at there is an 80 deg C swing between winter and summer temperatures.  I personally really like it - in contrast SoCal is like living in a shopping mall.

Now - what was this thread about again? 

mayfly said:
Xplorervoodoo said:
NonsenseTele said:

Yep.  Where I'm at there is an 80 deg C swing between winter and summer temperatures.  I personally really like it - in contrast SoCal is like living in a shopping mall.

Now - what was this thread about again? 
It's about fretboard woods......  :laughing11:

This is the one I got from the unique choice, ziricote..... :icon_biggrin:

Rouse said:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7932.0
This is a friends of mine's tele, it has similar specs to the one your about to build: tobacco burst, goncalo neck. It has a ziricote fretboard and looks great in person (picture doesn't do it justice). You could also look at kingwood.

Yeah it does look great in person.  I'll put a vote up for Ziricote.  Feels really good to.

Back