question about finding compatable pickguards.

jorri

the warmoth pickguards are apparently the only ones that fit warmoth bodies. why is that? are they the screw spacing or just the general layout? i dont understand how they can differ that much.

anyway, i emailed warmoth to request a pickguard with a more accurate bridge route for j-master and some custom switching, but they say they cant do it. does anyone know anywhere that can make a pickguard for me to fit my warmoth jm? or what is the problem with finding a guard in fender dimensions, and can i make it fit?

regards..

It's not that other pickguards won't fit, they just aren't guaranteed to fit. Fender pickguards will fit for the standard routings of the strat, tele, basses, etc... but the screw positions may be different. Other pickguards may fit as well, or they might not.

I've had no problems with non-warmoth pickguards - but I've found that the warmoth pickguards to be much more accurate in general than other makes.

If you're looking for something completely custom, Pickguardian can set you up.

Finally, note that warmoth does not drill screw holes for the pickguards - so hole placement is a non-issue.

Pickguardian will make anything you supply a template for. Warmoth Jazzmasters I believe have some dimensional differences from Fender jazzmasters or something like that. I've used strat pickguards from other people on warmoth strats and not had any problems.

mayfly said:
I've had no problems with non-warmoth pickguards - but I've found that the warmoth pickguards to be much more accurate in general than other makes.

Finally, note that warmoth does not drill screw holes for the pickguards - so hole placement is a non-issue.

they drilled mine.

smavridis said:
mayfly said:

they drilled mine.

Hmmmmm...  Never heard of that being done before :dontknow:

bbl4ck said:
smavridis said:
mayfly said:

they drilled mine.

well it was for a strat, if that changes anything.

smavridis said:
bbl4ck said:
smavridis said:
mayfly said:

they drilled mine.

well it was for a strat, if that changes anything.
They drilled holes in the pickguard or in the body for the pickguard?  I know they drill the ones in the guard itself.

dimensional differences? thats interesting as i always thought the warmoth bridge p-up looked shifted from the original design. i'd kind of like to know what differs from the fender. i know pickup placement is possibly the most defining factor in a guitar's sound, on par with the actual pickup choice..

i didnt mean that the warmoth guards were 'inaccurate', more that unfaithful to the classic design... there's something about the sawn off bridge part that bothers me, whereas the fenders have a guard extending around the bridge. i'd probably get used to it, but since i'm having to do the switching parts, which they seemed reluctant to even add jag switching to i'm having to go elsewhere anyway. i liked the look of some of the metal and wood ones around with clear finish guitars.
i'm guessing thats the main difference in design, though.

i may get a standard one anyway, as its all for a middle pickup, a lace sensor which i cant afford yet anyway. I kind of specifically need some place in the UK if anyone can help with that.

smavridis said:
i thought you were talking about the pickguards holes. nevermind.  :icon_thumright:

Sorry mate - was talking about the holes in the body.  Yea, the pickguard came drilled. :icon_thumright:

Back