Queensryche - Anarchy X Test

This was a lesson in drum sculpting with heavy compression... as is usual, I grab a MIDI drum track (or make one), slap Get Good Drums kit on it and shape from there.

How is GGD?

I use Superior Drummer 3, but often find myself wishing I didn't have to work so hard to get them to sound the way I want.

There is also a lot of sounds in SD3 that I never touch. It's trying to be everything to everyone. OTOH I've heard that GGD skews on the hard rock side, which is where I live 90% of the time.

How is GGD?

I use Superior Drummer 3, but often find myself wishing I didn't have to work so hard to get them to sound the way I want.

There is also a lot of sounds in SD3 that I never touch. It's trying to be everything to everyone. OTOH I've heard that GGD skews on the hard rock side, which is where I live 90% of the time.

GGD's samples are excellent. They're available in different packs for different styles (some signature artist drum sets, some "One Kit Wonder" sets, etc). Uses the Native Instruments Kontakt Player (can use the free version as well; I do) for DAW interface. They've got rock, hard rock and metal for sure. You get a bunch of grooves as well.

Nolly and his guys are also responsible for Neural DSP (Quad Cortex, awesome amp plugins, etc), so they're cutting edge and premium stuff. They claim they designed GGD to simplify the process and I'd agree. Well, once you get the Kontakt Player configured. Out of the box with no tweaking, the drum samples will sound good if you need a quick take (I take it to the next level).

I've got two packs ("One Kit Wonder" Classic Rock & Aggressive Rock) and they're both great. Typically I wind up routing all the different drum pieces (via Kontakt Player) to separate tracks in my DAW (Reaper), then slap on EQ, tweak by ear and finally some dbx 160 compression, either on the individual drums or in a parallel compression track. Maybe some tape saturation as well; depending.

There's a bunch of vids on GGD. Here's one official one:

GGD's samples are excellent. They're available in different packs for different styles (some signature artist drum sets, some "One Kit Wonder" sets, etc). Uses the Native Instruments Kontakt Player (can use the free version as well; I do) for DAW interface. They've got rock, hard rock and metal for sure. You get a bunch of grooves as well.

Nolly and his guys are also responsible for Neural DSP (Quad Cortex, awesome amp plugins, etc), so they're cutting edge and premium stuff. They claim they designed GGD to simplify the process and I'd agree. Well, once you get the Kontakt Player configured. Out of the box with no tweaking, the drum samples will sound good if you need a quick take (I take it to the next level).

I've got two packs ("One Kit Wonder" Classic Rock & Aggressive Rock) and they're both great. Typically I wind up routing all the different drum pieces (via Kontakt Player) to separate tracks in my DAW (Reaper), then slap on EQ, tweak by ear and finally some dbx 160 compression, either on the individual drums or in a parallel compression track. Maybe some tape saturation as well; depending.

There's a bunch of vids on GGD. Here's one official one:

Great info....thanks!

Back