push/pull or concentric pot

dmraco

Master Member
I am wiring a guitar and want to have one knob that does both tone and volume.  I would prefer to use a push pull and have the tone engaged in the "pull" setting.

I also have a concentric pot that uses a town know on single shaft design like a lot of basses.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Attachments

• push pull.jpg
    push pull.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 264
  • concentric.jpg
    concentric.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 274
On a push/pull pot, the push/pull function is completely separate from the pot. I don't know of any way to have it do both. The concentric pot will do that for you since it is actually two pots in one with two separate, stacked knobs.

You could do a three-way blade switch with something similar to broadcaster wiring but without the blend pot.

H7Wl8qW.jpg

I’ve used concentric  pots for that function.  Currently have tele with a dual tone knob, the inner is mid range and the outer is a regular tone knob.  The thing is the concentric pots look boss.  I’m not sure using a normal push pull will get you where you to be.

OK.  Concentric it is.  Stupid question.  I assume the bottom barrel is linked to the bottom pot and top to top.

Attachments

• concentric.jpg
    concentric.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 275
Well, you could gamble on that but it might be the other way around. Can you check it with an ohm meter?

EDIT: I just checked one I have with an ohm meter and the center shaft is the bottom pot.

Rgand said:
Well, you could gamble on that but it might be the other way around. Can you check it with an ohm meter?

EDIT: I just checked one I have with an ohm meter and the center shaft is the bottom pot.

Thanks.  I was not sure how to check.  I guess the pots are grounded together so I just have to create one central ground.

DMRACO said:
Rgand said:

Thanks.  I was not sure how to check.  I guess the pots are grounded together so I just have to create one central ground.

No. Both must be grounded separately or else you'll get no sound. The tone pot should be grounded through a capacitor.

Back