Punchy & Funky Jazz Bass - Chambered or Solid Swamp Ash body?

shagga

(I might have posted this in the wrong place initially, so here it is again. Moved from Body Wood forum.)

Hi guys,

my next Warmoth project will be a Jazz Bass 4 String, i already settled on swamp ash for the body and flame maple / flame maple neck.

Tonewise i want this one to be a punchy funker, but it should also do fingerstyle funk pretty well..

I own a chambered warmoth tele already, and this thing is pure tonal bliss, so i tend to go for a chambered jazz bass body too.
With that i might put on a flame maple cap as the price is the same and the reduced weight is also very nice!

I have no problem with losing a tiny little bit of those high treble frequencies, my only concern is, that the attack that's needed for a punchy jb tone might get lost a little because of the chambered body.. Or will it rather be the other way around and the chambered body will make the notes pop out even more?

What do you guys think about that?

Thanks!  :eek:ccasion14:

think of it like this. Mass=Sustain. The more mass you have the more sustain you will achieve, however more mass also takes longer to activate therefore a less massive object will have a quicker attack. For what you are describing the chambered body would probably be better (and lighter). Also, remember that the body probably has less of an effect on the sound than the pickups and the neck fretboard combo. SS frets will also probably give you a sharper/brighter attack. hope this helps. Good luck...

Your explanation sounds logical, thanks m8! :)

Does anyone of you guys play a chambered jb and could chime in on his observations regarding the tone?

shagga said:
Your explanation sounds logical, thanks m8! :)

Does anyone of you guys play a chambered jb and could chime in on his observations regarding the tone?

I have 2 chambered Swamp Ash J-Basses.  No limitations because of the chambering.  They sound like J-Basses.  It is however highly recommended on the chambered bodies to keep the headstock light with lightweight tuners.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I have 2 chambered Swamp Ash J-Basses.  No limitations because of the chambering.  They sound like J-Basses.  It is however highly recommended on the chambered bodies to keep the headstock light with lightweight tuners.

Thanks for chiming in m8, good call on the lightweight tuners!
I'll be using hipshot ultralites and a hipshot ultralight extender / detuner..

"No limitations because of the chambering" => Do you think that there any tonal enhancements because of the chambering then? (Compared to  a solid body?)

I haven't noticed any enhancements, it certainly hasn't made it worse.  I think those differences (chambered vs. solid) would be more pronounced on a guitar.  As far as body wood and chambering effecting sustain, whether top load or string-thru bridge, neck wood, string gauge, scale length, or whatever else, I have never experienced any lack of sustain problems playing a bass.  In fact just the opposite, I've considered doing the foam under the strings near the bridge to mute it a hair.  If punchy and funky is what you want, pickups and playing style will be the biggest factors.

Yeah, thanks!
So, why did you go for a chambered body? Only for weight relieve reasons?

Weight mainly, with a hope that it would be tonally better.  Truth is, I can't tell.  BTW, when I tell people it's chambered, they say, "What?"  I say, "Hollow."  Then for whatever reason they knock on it.  There's pics and banter about both of them in the J-Bass section of the forum.

Back