PRS Warmoth

marcus_b

hi,

as you probably guessed from the subject field in this post I'm after the goods;-)

i was :-( a long time PRS Player. Since 1995 i was the proud owner of a 1991 Custom24. Unfortunately this baby had to leave coz someone else thought it was a beauty too (got stolen start of 2003). well ever since ive been wanting to get another one, but cant fork out the high price.

so i was recently checking out the warmoth page after i heard someone talk about you on the net.  especially the model VIP-Model(funny that) in the Gallery Owned by Mr  Bruce Erikson... WOW... I'm speechless!!
anyone in doubt here goes:

love the blue and the dark wooden body together with that rosewood neck, basically everything of this guitar!!! also if i was to purchase the original PRS tremolo and 5Way switch (from www.thomann.de) would they be able to prepare the body for these parts? i really would love to get my hands back on a PRS but with family and stuff, ah well you know how it is...

basically i just would like to get as close as possible to my old baby.

would this work?
> VIP Carved Top,Flame Maple Top Mahogany Back
> Warmoth "Pro" Brazilian Rosewood/Rosewood, Stainless steel Jumbo Frets,Fat Neck,1-11/16,Planet Waves holes

Has anyone attempted to do a close replica? what did you use? or better is Mr. Bruce Erikson roaming these sites, if so please contact me if you dont mind.

any help is appreciated!
stay tuned,
marcus b

I think that most forum members were sleeping inbetween your 2 posts (depending on where you are:))
anyway, I built a VIP, however my intentions were a little different when I first started to plan the project:

I really wanted to create a copy of the rare Fender Heartfield Elan.. however, the more I researched my options, the more fascinated I became with the different tonewood types and raw necks. So rather than a mahogany/maple body, I ended up with a Hollow Korina body. and instead of a mahogany/ebony neck, I ended up with a rosewood/ebony neck.. (I guess the solid rosewood is more a PRS feature) I also went for a different bridge than the Elan, so not much was left of the original Idea..
So, here's the end result:
stratmay13th030.jpg

oh and I am happy to report that since then I finally found myself a Fender Elan!  :blob7: :blob7:
Elan004.jpg

Elan012.jpg

Marcus,
The VIP really is a wicked guitar.  However, I urge you try the Gotoh/Wilkinson Tremolo.  I personally have found it superior to every other tremolo system on the market (including PRS).  Also, if you have the extra money, ante up and get hollow Black Korina instead of Mahogany.  It has all the great characteristics of mahogany, but adds a high end snarl that is just nasty!  Going hollow on the build (a free option on the VIP) also lightens up the overall weight of the guitar, and adds a resonance that you've just got to feel to believe.  The guitar feels like it lives and breaths!

But of course, YMMV
-David

if i was to purchase the original PRS tremolo and 5Way switch (from www.thomann.de) would they be able to prepare the body for these parts? i really would love to get my hands back on a PRS but with family and stuff, ah well you know how it is...
Well, I think they don't do that bridge, except if it's Strat true replacement, but i think it isn't... They have a few things that they do that don't is showed in the site (and usually that things is not very easy to get, as I understand what Gregg said).

I would also recommend using the Gotoh Wilkinson bridge; VIP bodies have control routing options that include PRS Vol - Tone - Rotary switch

thanks to all,

well m4rk0, thats a very beautiful Guitar you have there... reason for me wanting Mahogany/Maple is because thats what my origin PRS had... i have never had a more prefect guitar, i do like the Wilkinson's i have one on my BLADE Strat and its great i just felt í lost a bit of warmth and sustain when i swapped over to a TwoPeg Tremolo as opposed to the vintage style(six screws). As for the neck-wood, PRS have mahogany/rosewood but i always loved the feel of PRS's with rosewood necks...

how easy is it to assemble them? im a machinist (1.grade CNC) by trade so i have use for my hands :toothy12:... also i looked on the E-Store page but could not see options for colour and stuff only PUP routing etc... better order over fone? have read few things (sorry to bring this up) where ppl where unhappy with Customer Service especially when errors occurred... what have you guys experienced?

well i guess i just throw myself out there eventually... do i get some kind of assembly help tips&tricks from warmoth when i buy the parts?

oh and m4rk0 i suppose you would not happen to have a soundfile of yours VIP  :toothy10:

thanks again and

stay tuned
marcus b

Marcus, I have never had a problem ordering over the phone with any of the sales reps.  I've talked to Eric, Gregg, Jay and Spike over the phone, and they were all VERY nice and understanding of what I was trying to accomplish in my build.  I would ask them questions I thought were a bit stupid, and they never once acted arrogant or made me feel stupid. 

I think most of the bad CS stuff is made by people who didn't know exactly what they were getting themselves into, and were disappointed when they found out it wasn't how they thought it would come out.  The reps try to explain it was what they ordered and the people get all pissy about it.  I understand it completely as I work in an office.  There will always be people like that.  And then there are the Ed Romans of the world.  He has his employees give his products stellar reviews on Harmony Central while slamming all of his competition's.  I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't behind at least some of the bad reviews for Warmoth, yet if you play any of his guitars, you will find they are complete and utter crap.

Just MHO.

-David Rose

thanks david,

well its was not going to put me off anyways, i was more interested how big(if at all) the problem seemed to be or if its really only isolated cases.... I have been emailing with spike and he was very helpful so far.

i guess now its down to the notepad and write all my wishes down then a talk with the government(aka my beautiful wife)  and then i order.

if anyone could anser these , that would be greatly appreciated ;-)
marcus_b said:
how easy is it to assemble them? im a machinist (1.grade CNC) by trade so i have use for my hands :toothy12:... also i looked on the E-Store page but could not see options for colour and stuff only PUP routing etc... better order over fone? have read few things (sorry to bring this up) where ppl where unhappy with Customer Service especially when errors occurred... what have you guys experienced?

do i get some kind of assembly help tips&tricks from warmoth when i buy the parts?

thanks again and

stay tuned
marcus b

marcus_b said:
thanks to all,

well m4rk0, thats a very beautiful Guitar you have there... reason for me wanting Mahogany/Maple is because thats what my origin PRS had... i have never had a more prefect guitar, i do like the Wilkinson's i have one on my BLADE Strat and its great i just felt í lost a bit of warmth and sustain when i swapped over to a TwoPeg Tremolo as opposed to the vintage style(six screws). As for the neck-wood, PRS have mahogany/rosewood but i always loved the feel of PRS's with rosewood necks...

Marcus  you shouldn't have any trouble assembling a guitar, theres a ton of info here, and on the net to explain all your setups, wiring schematics etc...
bolting all the parts together is fairly straightforward and simple,    soldering the electronics together, and setting up your intonation and action are really the two most difficult parts to creating a guitar, and with an ounce of caution and forethought, those are simple too  Good Luck

marcus_b said:
oh and m4rk0 i suppose you would not happen to have a soundfile of yours VIP  :toothy10:

thanks again and

stay tuned
marcus b

Hey Marcus, no sorry not yet... I will re-install my cakewalk sometimes soon and record some samples.

thanks o you all,

i cant wait to get going with it...

m4rk0, don't worrie bout it, just thought if you did happen to have a soundfile it would have been nice...

again thanks for all the replies...

stay tuned
marcus b

Hi marcus_b...

I used RS Guitarwork's pre-wired PRS electronics kit on my last Warmoth build, and can recommend it highly. Smooth pots, excellent components, and great sound. The only problem I had was I had to replace the switch, as the Warmoth top on my axe was too thick to permit the switch to be screwed down.

The kit isn't the standard PRS setup with the rotary switch - It's the McCarty setup with a volume pot, tone pot, and a 3-way gibson-style switch. The tone pot has a pull-switch built in to enable coil tapping. The kit is here: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=47_62&products_id=353.

Back