PRS Dragon 2s

etj92

I'm thinking of using PRS Dragon 2s for a VIP project, using 3 way switch and push/push coil split. Do any of you have experience of these pickups and how they compare with Seymour Duncan's best? Would be grateful for any info/ideas.

I've very nearly bought a PRS with Dragons on, not sure if they were 2s or not. I was actually in the market for a Les Paul but got trying out a mean black S/H PRS Custom. It was a gorgeous tone, really very warm indeed, ultra middy tho so if you don't love mids I would look elsewhere. Interesting you talk of the split options, I'm not sure how PRS wire their guitars but man those single coil tones were as funky as hell, you would never need another guitar basically, but hey I went for an LP anyway!!!

As always the best thing to do is get down a big guitar show room and check out as many PRS' as possible. As I say it has a lot of Mid range and that might not be your thing.

As for SD comparisons well thats a tough one, I'd always say that the best SD hum is the JB and does the dragon beat that? Not to my ears no but try one, you could well disagree. I'd argue that a Gibson burstbucker is better than all three of them but thats just me!

You have a music store with a PRS Dave Navarro model in stock nearby? That would be the identical PU/wiring you're proposing

Thanks for the replies. Must say, I always feel a bit intimidated checking out gear at the local shop by all the very talented young shredders there! Jack, I think the Dave Navarro has HFS Treble and Vintage Bass PUPs, though the switching would be identical to what I want. I'd need to try a Custom 22 with the optional switching fit and I can't say I've seen many of those in the shops.

etj92 said:
Thanks for the replies. Must say, I always feel a bit intimidated checking out gear at the local shop by all the very talented young shredders there! Jack, I think the Dave Navarro has HFS Treble and Vintage Bass PUPs, though the switching would be identical to what I want. I'd need to try a Custom 22 with the optional switching fit and I can't say I've seen many of those in the shops.

Yeah thats the one I was playing, it had been really well played, the finish had completely come off the back of the neck but it still played and felt amazing. I've wanted a real LP since before I actually started playing tho so I definately made the right choice.

Back