Primer Splotchy

Mr Real Nice

I sprayed 7 coats of primer onto my body and it still looks splotchy in places.  I thought it would even out by this point and I really don't feel like I'm going on too thin.  Opinions, please?  See http://www.photobucket.com/teleproject for pics, although, it looks a lot more even in the pictures than it does in real life.

Hard to tell from pictures; does not look like it's evenly applied? What are you using for primer and how are you spraying? My only experience has been with the ReRanch opaque white primer, you just spray your coats and level sand back to #400 like you would with sanding sealer prior to shooting color coats

Spray can primers are tough to get used too, just sand with #400 or #600 on the rough spots. You can spot shoot primer on the affected areas only, just very light coats, then I would very lightly sand the complete body before painting. Do not try to make the primer shiny, it should be dry looking.

I'm using Spray Max 2k Rapid Primer Filler.  It's a 2 part catalyzed primer.  Here's a link:  http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-14524-9523-spray-max-2k-rapid-primer-filler.aspx?cid=DC

How smooth should the primer be before applying the paint?  It basically looks like there are millions of tiny raised bumps right now and I'm afraid to sand it too much because it still appears kind of thin.  I'll try spot shooting it and sanding lightly, I suppose.

One more thing...should I acquire some white primer and spray a coat over this light grey stuff for my lime green poly paint?

That stuff sounds pretty good, Sounds like you have created an orange peel affect, This is usually caused by spraying too close, paint or primer mixture too heavy or when you spray a path on you did it too slow. Either way you should sand it back to a good smooth finish before painting or the paint will look the same, As far as the color goes lime green should cover, but may take an extra coat or two, from my experience with that color be very careful not too lay the first couple of coats on too heavy, I mean the first coat should never completely cover, Spray all the edges first then lightly coat the rest being careful not to lay too much on the edges again. You should'nt try to get a good gloss until the 3rd or 4th coat.

Well, I wouldn't say it's orange peel (I've seen pics of that), but yeah, I'm going to take some 600 to it when I get home from work to try to smooth it out without going through the layer and then hopefully evening it out with another coat or two.  Thanks for the help.

Back