Pre drilled mounting holes on neck

Heft

I have a body I want to use a warmoth neck on, it doesn't have any mounting holes in it. When I get the neck I'm going to be measuring and drilling holes in the body. Am I right to assume I wan't to buy a neck with no Mounting holes and start from scratch?

depends ... what are your measurements?  Like from the bridge to the neck pocket?  If the pocket is in the right place drilling the holes is easy.  Did the place you buy it from use fender standard measurements?  Who made the body?

Heft said:
I have a body I want to use a warmoth neck on, it doesn't have any mounting holes in it. When I get the neck I'm going to be measuring and drilling holes in the body. Am I right to assume I wan't to buy a neck with no Mounting holes and start from scratch?

I would buy one with mounting holes for two reasons. 1, it will have much better resale value. I know, I know, everyone says "I'll never sell it," but why not have the option? 2. You can always transfer the neck to another body if you want to.

It's easy to transfer the location of the holes to the body. Cut the heads off four nails and put them pointy side out in the screw holes. Align the neck to the body using the two E strings and press the neck down onto the body, transferring the location of the holes via the nails. Drill the holes. Done.

beltjones said:
Heft said:

I would buy one with mounting holes for two reasons. 1, it will have much better resale value. I know, I know, everyone says "I'll never sell it," but why not have the option? 2. You can always transfer the neck to another body if you want to.

It's easy to transfer the location of the holes to the body. Cut the heads off four nails and put them pointy side out in the screw holes. Align the neck to the body using the two E strings and press the neck down onto the body, transferring the location of the holes via the nails. Drill the holes. Done.

That sounds a lot easier than what I was going to do with calipers and a pencil.

You're going to want to make sure that the holes are perfectly perpendicular to the horizontal plane of the body.  You wouldn't have access to a drill press, would you?  I, for one, do not.  And drilling these holes would not be something I would attempt with a hand drill.  Another option, maybe get a local luthier to drill these.  I can't see that it would cost too much.

If you don't have experience drilling neck holes Ghotphry has good advice.

Back