Pot knobs

Livingston

I have a problems with my knobs sticking up too much on my teles; they also turn at a very slight angle, as though they are on slightly slanty.  It's this way on both of my Warmoths, but I don't see this problem on other teles.  Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

3114108846_2bb166c862_o.png

Can you post a pic from the side to show how the washers are attached and all? I had a similar problem, but I rearranged the nuts and all to get it to work.

two things:

when you install the pots there are two nuts  - one on the top/outside and one on the bottom/inside. Use the inside one to adjust how much the pot's shaft sticks through the body of the guitar.

if they turn at a slight angle you might just have to loosen the set screw and re-tighten it, adjusting it to try and get it to sit flatter.

It's definitely the set screw.  I suggest futzing, and possibly applying elbow grease.

Another thing - did you use slotted shaft pots, or solid shaft pots?

IMHO, you should only use solid shaft pots on a Tele - the knobs will fit better and not be at an angle.

I added nuts under the control plate and took the height of the shafts down, then filled the shafts with pieces of poster board and put the knobs back on.  Now it's perfect!  Thanks guys.

I usually aim my set screw right at the slot and have had good results.  I learned to do this after putting some new knobs on my Mexican strat years ago and making some nice wobboly action.

Back