Possible Warmoth project...with few questions

cuthbert

I am thinking about making a Wamorth built (so far I just bought a replacement neck for my Strat years ago) but I have few questions regarding the configuration and order.

My favourite guitar is a Charvel 750XL, unfortunately neither Warmoth or any other maker I think offer a 24.75" scale binding neck mated with an arched top body, so in the end playing with the configuration I came out with this configuration:

neck.JPG

body.JPG

I would also like a matching headstock and I understand it is an expensive option, about $300. So in the end it is not going to be a cheap project.

Has anybody tried a matching headstock with tiger´s eye or bengal burst? I am curious to see the results.

I chose non recessed Floyd as this is the way the Charvel is, is it going to be a significant gap between the extension fingerboard and the carved top?

The other points are related to the fact I live in the EU, and I am surprised to hear Warmoth cannot sell mahogany here...what would be the most sensible replacement wood? White korina?

Also, shipping ratings are above $200, in particular USPS is more expensive than UPS! Is there any chance to revisit these values? Also, in the EU we have import duties and VAT about, 20%, and shipping is part of the added value...so in the just for the wood I am going to spend above €2000.

@cuthbert Welcome to the forum.

When you mentioned arched top, the better term to use for what you're describing is a carved top. An arched top is a hollow or semi hollow instrument.

Matching headstocks do cost more, especially for a figured maple with a burst. A more inexpensive option would be a headstock with just the face painted black, for example.

I chose non recessed Floyd as this is the way the Charvel is, is it going to be a significant gap between the extension fingerboard and the carved top?
That would be about 3 mm.

The other points are related to the fact I live in the EU, and I am surprised to hear Warmoth cannot sell mahogany here...what would be the most sensible replacement wood? White korina?

It used to be possible to get Mahogany sent to the EU, the guitar in my signature was. Though lately, to avoid possible additional paperwork, Warmoth does not do so any longer. White Korina would be a reasonable alternative option.

Also, shipping ratings are above $200, in particular USPS is more expensive than UPS! Is there any chance to revisit these values? Also, in the EU we have import duties and VAT about, 20%, and shipping is part of the added value...so in the just for the wood I am going to spend above €2000.
I don't speak for Warmoth, but those prices have been what they are for a long time. I doubt it will change any time soon if at all.

So in the end it is not going to be a cheap project.

Correct, it would not be.

I don't speak for Warmoth, but those prices have been what they are for a long time. I doubt it will change any time soon if at all.

Thank you very, on this topic I cannot say that a famous competitor gives a quote of $100 USPS for a body and neck...that is the reason why I am enquiring. Unfortunately just Warmoth to the best of my knowledge offers carved top bodies and complete finish.

Regarding the wood, it appears white korina is out of stock, that is unfortunate and I might wait until they have it back.

I also assume the 720 modification to get the fretboard closer to the body is not available or the carved top soloist, even if Aaron´s guitar appears to have it.

Not intending to argue here, as even domestically, the shipping cost is on the higher side compared to other vendors and similar product dimensions & weights, but I'd be curious about that competitor's logistics operations. How they pack the product, what materials they use, etc.

I also assume the 720 modification to get the fretboard closer to the body is not available or the carved top soloist, even if Aaron´s guitar appears to have it.

That's best asked of WM customer service.

and I am surprised to hear Warmoth cannot sell mahogany here...what would be the most sensible replacement wood? White korina?

WM uses Khaya ivorensis (commonly called "African mahogany"). It's part of CITES Appendix II which means that WM (or their domestic supplier) can import the wood but exporting requires additional permits. Just the cursory research I did when a friend in Canada inquired about me making him a custom bass presented a lot of risk (to me). If the instrument gets seized because of paperwork anomaly, then we're both screwed with zero recourse. Either he's out the money with no product or I am.

While he backed out because of the price quote alone (he was another one who didn't expect a 4-figure price, thinking I could undercut all the Fenders and Gibsons and Ibanezes out there), for a brief time, I thought about shipping to a holding location near the Canadian border on this side and having him cross to pick it up and drive it back home.

Ipse dixit!

After having had to look up what that even means, I still stand by my comment: confirm it with customer service rather than making assumptions. It's just an e-mail.

Thank you very, on this topic I cannot say that a famous competitor gives a quote of $100 USPS for a body and neck...that is the reason why I am enquiring. Unfortunately just Warmoth to the best of my knowledge offers carved top bodies and complete finish.

If that is who I think it is, the last time, I had something from them, I paid for USPS, they recommended later paying an additional cost for reliability via UPS.

Either way, whoever you source parts from the USA to Europe, you will be paying VAT and Import Fees for the shipping and the product. The way prices are in more recent years, there is no cheap way to get these types of parts internationally.

Look also for Black Korina, it is the same species as white.

Re 720 mod.

I'd never recommend using USPS, even within the US. When my daughter was studying in Italy we sent her some clothes that she wanted via USPS (because UPS was outrageous), it took months then the Italian post office tried once to deliver then sent it back to the states undelivered, which we received a year later. Over a month ago I purchased some Lace sensor pickups and they used USPS. The postal guy delivered it to a house near me - a 1/10 of a mile away.

I'd never recommend using USPS, even within the US. When my daughter was studying in Italy we sent her some clothes that she wanted via USPS (because UPS was outrageous), it took months then the Italian post office tried once to deliver then sent it back to the states undelivered, which we received a year later. Over a month ago I purchased some Lace sensor pickups and they used USPS. The postal guy delivered it to a house near me - a 1/10 of a mile away.

Interesting, I lived in Italy for many years and as a matter of fact I received the Warmoth neck for my Strat back in Italy, with USPS it was delivered , no big issues. It also depends by where you live in Italiy, I assume.

However, I might have found a ready neck in the showroom, I was just wondering if anybody here had a picture of the neck angle with a non recessed FR, I am curious to understand if the gap with a 24 frets fingerboard will be more pronounced.

Back