Polyester cures in 12 hours...

Dave B

...and oil based polyurethane takes 30 days.
I wonder if Warmoth would ever switch to the more durable, glossy, and just better in every way polyester to open up that bottleneck. I just ordered a bass body and was told I'd see it in 16 to 18 weeks. 4.5 months seems a little ridiculous.

How do you know it's the finishing process is the delay? Maybe, they got it started and then found a problem in qc.
As to finishing, warmoth's are top notch. I've finished a couple of guitars in my life, and it takes longer than you think. Warmoth's finishes are worth every penny.

yeah, Warmoth finishes can't be beaten for value and quality imo. The last few guitars I've put together I've wanted shapes and colors that just weren't available through Warmoth, and so I've had some painted by Pat Wilkins, Marty Bell, etc, and Warmoth's quality is better and the price is generally 1/2 or less what anyone else charges, and the turnaround is about on par with 3rd party options, too. It's worth the wait if they can do a color you want.

I just noticed you're saying it takes a long time ... so just forget what I said about delay. I concur with Chad.

There's also catalyzed (2k) polyurethane that cures in a similar timeframe as the polyester. I'm not certain what the benefits of one is over the other in terms of a finish.

Michael

Do we know what products Warmoth actually uses for their finishes? Polyurethane, water or oil based, generally doesn't take 30 days to cure. Pure oil finishes can take that long, but I can't imagine Warmoth use pure BLO or Tung.

I was still under the impression that Warmoth's wait times are a function of their finishing department just being really backlogged. Cure times don't matter if the body is going to sit for months just to get to the front of the line.

From the website: "Our process begins with a polyester base coat to fill the grain. Once it dries, a urethane color coat is applied. The top coats come next, followed by final sanding and buffing."
It's a very professional operation. Better than you could do at home.

Last edited:
How do you know it's the finishing process is the delay? Maybe, they got it started and then found a problem in qc.
As to finishing, warmoth's are top notch. I've finished a couple of guitars in my life, and it takes longer than you think. Warmoth's finishes are worth every penny.
I asked, and that's what they told me. Warmoth already uses polyester to fill, then polyurethane for the outer coat.
Polyester is 96% solid. Polyeurethane is between 50 to 65% solid content. It never really dries. It scratches much easier, and is more flexable.

Polyester is recommended when high scratch resistance and 100% sheen are required in commercial or residential projects, and it's cheaper than polyurethane. It's also easier to work with.

I bought a Kiesel CS6 back in 2016. Koa back and neck, 1/2" thick spalted flame maple top with a clear gloss polyester finish. I was stunned at the stark contrast I saw when I put it on a stand next to my 2000 PRS Hollowbody ii, and my solid Lacewood Warmoth Z with the urethane. It's night and day. And the polyester on the Kiesel is actually clear. It doesn't have that slight tint that clear polyurethane seems to have. It's the most beautiful Koa I've ever seen because it didn't have that tint, and was so glossy. The chatoyancy of the flame Koa and spalted flame Maple through that finish had me speechless. I called Kiesel and asked about it and they told me that it was polyester cured in a 24 hour UV booth.

When I bought my two Sterling Stingray Ray 34's, I played them up against the more expensive overpriced US Stingrays and noticed the Indonesian Ray 34's had polyurethane finishes, and the MMSR's had that nice thick, glossy polyester. It just looks so much nicer.

So it's cheaper, easier to work with, cures in 12 to 24 hours, has a much higher sheen when polished, is much more durable, is actually clear, actally dries solid all of the way, and already is being used by Warmoth as a filler/undercoat. Why even bother with the urethane? Why not just use the polyester for both coats? Are they afraid the nitro guys are going to freak out because they think finish somehow affects tone? I've heard that fallacy referenced a few times by Warmoth in videos in what I assume is a response to some of their customers. They even wrote on the finishes page, "Warmoth finishes seldomly exceed twelve thousandths of an inch in thickness. Our thin poly finishes offer extreme durability with no noticable affect on tone." Or maybe the "relic" guys would object because they want the road-worn look. These are the same guys paying $30 to $50 for paper in oil caps that acidify and leak DC over time. I feel like that's why we can't have slightly nicer things.

I like Warmoths finishes, but they get beat up pretty easily. My Z has only left my house once and it's looking like I gigged with it. I have gigged the Kiesel, and it's still looking new.

Anyway, I can't wait to get my Z bass. It will be my first Warmoth bass. And my first Jazz bass. I'm throwing in some Aero type 1 jazz bass pickups in it. I'm very excited. I did a clear gloss over a one-piece Ash body so the wear and tear will be less apparent, and have a little of that 70's j bass vibe.

My Warmoth Strat type body is clear over Walnut with no pick guard. After a couple years of use, there are zero pick scratches, while another guitar I put together around the same time with a Fender pick guard, has plenty of scratches on the guard. Whatever clear they're using is much harder than a typical pick guard, and harder than the picks I use.

Similarly, the two-part clear acrylic-urethane I used on a couple motorcycles is very scratch resistant.

This'll be my last word, but I always thought polyester was for cheapos, while utherane is the industry standard for the good reason that it's easy to work with and protective. Good things take time, have patience and it will all work out well. Any marks that evolve on your git are patina and a memory to cherish. Also, depending on what you ordered there are other steps to getting the body out the door besides the finish.

Also, just thinking about it, I installed new oak stair treads, 20, and I finished them in polyutherane, and the oak floors of my house, I finished in polyutherane ... Ask yourself, what have you ever finished in polyester. Me nothing.

Now I'm thinking your a troll.

Last edited:
There's a youtube video of a guy finishing a guitar in UV-cured polyester. Chris Monk of Highline Guitars. It's very interesting! I tried it myself, but made a mess of it. I had zero experience in finishing and should have used an easier method. The vapors are horrible! You definitely need good ventilation.

Michael

@electric__steve is correct. The lead time for paint is not the cure time. It's the time to go through the queue of basecoat, basecoat sanding, other prep like dyeing or taping binding, painting color, topcoat, buffing, etc...

Last edited:
I am half tempted to open a paint shop in Puyallup purely for the purpose of landing contract to handle backlog reduction work from Warmoth.

I am half tempted to open a paint shop in Puyallup purely for the purpose of landing contract to handle backlog reduction work from Warmoth.
Look at all the Warmoth bodies on the guitarpaintguys site. They look like they are helping out quite a bit. People really love their flake finishes. They use bigger flakes. They also have five different holo-flake finishes.

Look at all the Warmoth bodies on the guitarpaintguys site. They look like they are helping out quite a bit. People really love their flake finishes. They use bigger flakes. They also have five different holo-flake finishes.

Also, they have a 3 - 6 month wait time.

Guys, rowyco customs paints guitar bodies and necks for about the same prices as warmoth.
His quality is super high, plus you can get whatever colors you want, not just pick from a limited menu.
No nitro though, and no maple neck finishing.

He nailed the color I was looking for on my vip bodyb(and aged firemist blue/silver) It took about 8 weeks to complete.
Warmoth finished my neck, and also did a great job.

To all you guys complaining about 16 to 18 week lead times: you'll get, essentially, a custom guitar in less than 6 months.
Try getting a prs, suhr, fender, gibson, etc in less than 2 years.

Warmoth is not doing too bad in that regard.

Now, if they opened up a custom paint shop, and added a charge on a job by job basis...........

Guys, rowyco customs paints guitar bodies and necks for about the same prices as warmoth.
His quality is super high, plus you can get whatever colors you want, not just pick from a limited menu.
No nitro though, and no maple neck finishing.

He nailed the color I was looking for on my vip bodyb(and aged firemist blue/silver) It took about 8 weeks to complete.
Warmoth finished my neck, and also did a great job.

To all you guys complaining about 16 to 18 week lead times: you'll get, essentially, a custom guitar in less than 6 months.
Try getting a prs, suhr, fender, gibson, etc in less than 2 years.

Warmoth is not doing too bad in that regard.

Now, if they opened up a custom paint shop, and added a charge on a job by job basis...........
It says his turn around time for UV curable polyester is 12 to 14 days. Nice. I'll try them on my next build, thanks.
He has the big flake and does holo flake over other colors other than black.
This one's silver holo flake.
And he has a paragraph in the FAQ about the nitro/tone myth. I'm happy to see him politely address it He must hear that tripe constantly.

It says his turn around time for UV curable polyester is 12 to 14 days. Nice. I'll try them on my next build, thanks.
He has the big flake and does holo flake over other colors other than black.
This one's silver holo flake.
And he has a paragraph in the FAQ about the nitro/tone myth. I'm happy to see him politely address it He must hear that tripe constantly.
Ben is the real deal.

I sent him my body right at the time he was finishing a run of sparkle destroyers for paul Stanley, so it took a bit longer.
He took the time to make sure my color matched the reference pics I sent him. I would have been happy at 90% match, he got so darned close that I can't tell (firemist colors change depending on the angle and light source).

I was in no rush whatsoever and told him that. I wanted quality not speed. He told me a month, but it turned into 7 weeks plus shipping.

I have to find the article that someone did one one of the guitars he painted.

I believe it was a burst, but it had a gold top coat that you could only see from certain angles! Straight on its a flame top. At 45°, it's a gold top.

Back