POLL: pickup ideas for my Warmoth Strat. Please help.

Pickup combination possibilities

• Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot set

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Lindy Fralin Special Blues at n/m Seymour Duncan Hot Stack at bridge

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seymour Duncan Classic Stack n/m Hot Stack at Bridge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seymour Duncan SSL-1 n/m SSL-5 Tapped at bridge

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other: Please Specify

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

38special

Hello everyone,

I am ordering a swamp ash strat body with a quilt maple top (top rout) and a quartersawn indian rosewood neck with an ebony fingerboard. What i am looking for in the tone is a warm, full blues tone, but not straying to far from that glassy sound of a strat at the neck position. At the bridge i want quite a bit of heat, harmonics, etc, but still very warm and vintage sounding. Please vote on my poll of the selections i have made or feel free to shoot me other options and ideas. All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, 38Special, and welcome to the forum.

I think all the choices you listed above are likely to get you in the neighborhood of what you want, but I wanted to suggest you check out one of our brothers here on the forum, TroubledTreble, who does business at http://www.roadhousepickups.com

If you send him a direct message, he will work with you to get exactly what you want.  I, and many other members of this forum, have had very good luck with him custom winding pups to suit our needs, and at prices that compare favorably with Duncan and Dimarzio.

Peace

Bagman

I voted for the SSL 1/1/5 set, but I actually think you should get the STK 4/4/6 set. You just didn't put that as an option.

Jumble Jumble said:
I voted for the SSL 1/1/5 set, but I actually think you should get the STK 4/4/6 set. You just didn't put that as an option.

Oh. i thought that was what i was referring to on option 3: classic stack at n/m hot stack at bridge. Correct me if i am wrong

[
38special said:
Jumble Jumble said:

Oh. i thought that was what i was referring to on option 3: classic stack at n/m hot stack at bridge. Correct me if i am wrong

ok i was wrong. apologies. the hot stack is the stk2

It's none of those, it's the Stack Plus pickups. They're the later evolution of the Stack pickups, and they sound much more like normal single coils (enough to fool in a blind test). The STK-S4 is the Classic Stack Plus, which is the noiseless version of the SSL-1, and the STK-S6 is the Custom Stack Plus, the noiseless version of the SSL-5. So the tone would be the same as SSL1/1/5, but noiseless.

What about Bare Knuckle pickups... like the Apaches or Irish tours. I've been eying those  :headbang1:

I've been very happy with my set of Roadhouse 65's.  They are very versatile and have vintage output with good warmth and clarity.  Unless your tastes are for very hot pickups, I can't think of any reason not to try them.
Also, if you contacted Ken, I'm sure he could suggest something based on your needs.  Customer service has been great.

KaiserSoze said:
I've been very happy with my set of Roadhouse 65's.  They are very versatile and have vintage output with good warmth and clarity.  Unless your tastes are for very hot pickups, I can't think of any reason not to try them.
Also, if you contacted Ken, I'm sure he could suggest something based on your needs.  Customer service has been great.

I would definitely second the recommendation of talking with Ken about your needs.  I have two sets of his pickups and they are both among the favorite that I own.  Give him a call and he will work with you to get just the sound you are chasing... 

Mr. Kaiser,  Do you happen to have any recordings of your Roadhouse 65's. 
I would really like to hear those 65' as I have grown to love the sound of low output pickups.   

Good luck on your build Mr. 38 and  :rock-on:

I don't have an opinion on your bridge pickup search, but for your neck pickup needs I've always found the Duncan Vintage Rails get me exactly into that territory.

I am using Bare Knuckle Apache and also liked their Mothers Milk set while weighing options for blues pickups. If I was going all single coil in such a context and was considering the Apache I would go with a more robust bridge pickup but the middle and neck are beautiful.  Just been researching Kinmans and he seems to have some great tones lurking in his vintage range.

I'm really digging these DiMarzio Area sets.  Rewired my American strat with them and wow, sounds more strat than my strat.

Lollar Special S Series

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=strat-pickups

Bareknuckle HSS set - Irish Tour single coils in the neck and middle with a Nailbomb humbucker at the bridge!

How 'bout something completely unexpected?
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Brighton-Rock-Pickups-Calibrated-RWRP-Set-of-three_p_1521.html

Back