Pleking? Pros and Cons?

Steve_Karl said:
OzziePete said:
I have tried doing the intonation setups myself but with the Wilky trems and the experience you need to know how close is good enough in intonation, I'm forever chasing circles as the Peterson tuner keeps reading sharp, then flat, then sharp again.....

A good Peterson ( I have a VS-1 ) will read the difference in how your sitting, i.e. the slant of the body, forward or back, in your lap, even with a hard tail, because of the pull of the weight of the wood of the neck, flexing to gravity and thus changing the tension on the strings.
You'll never get it to stand still with a Peterson. Moving really slow, like less that 1 mark per second, is plenty close enough and better than most all other tuners could even see.

Thanx for that advice Steve, I have noticed that the Peterson Stroborack is quite sensitive to even movement with the guitar on my lap. Usually I am getting the strobe moving in one direction very very slowly for two of the readings on one string - say on the open string, then the 12th fret - then it goes the other direction at similar speed on the other - say harmonic at 12th. And yeah, just leaning my palm on the trem bridge causes change in the readings!

I'm gunna hassle a few music stores and try and find a good repairer who can do good setups, I simply do not have the time to learn the knack of doing this and then doing all the guitars.

I had both my Warmoth guitars pleked (a strat and a tele) and I'm very happy with the result. Perfect fret job, nut, intonation...... well the guitars came out perfect. Big difference.

The Beatles never needed no Plekking.

Nor Tony Iommi.

Nor Nigel Tufnel for that matter.

Doubtful it would help your issue as it were, anyways.

That, and Marshalls were rare as hen's teeth in the early Beatles years. And touring didn't make much sense for them, as their audiences were too rambunctious with the screaming and shouting. I read where they mimed many of their songs when they did tour, as there was simply no way to hear them.

All good points.  The (insert band name here) never needed them.  Had it been around then, would they have taken advantage?  The living Beatles or Claptons or Pages or Becks or Iommies or Tufnels, do they use it now?  Don't know, probably not, maybe, who knows.  In lieu of a Plek machine, I'm sure these guys have their stuff setup by a Master tech, not just the usual repair guy at a music store.  Possibly too, these guys may have their stuff Plek'd and not even know it.  Interesting none the less.  I'm always amazed when people that have to have such and such to play.    

Whether it's worth it or not, you can bet Gibson is doing it to sell guitars.

McCartney and Lennon were both quite vocal in their displeasure with George Harrison's LACK of rock 'n' roll roar - at a time where Hendrix, Clapton, and Beck were blowing down walls Harrison was still playing his Scotty Moore and Chet Atkins style. Harrison asked McCartney for help on "Taxman" and it was McCartney who played the "angry" solo. And of course is was Clapton's guitar which gently weeped.

Superlizard said:
Cagey said:
That, and Marshalls were rare as hen's teeth in the early Beatles years.

Kind of - the very first Marshalls came out in '62; the original JTM45 offsets.

Right. But, you couldn't just run down to the local gear merchant and get one. It wasn't until the mid-to-late '60s when they went into regular production. Of course, The Beatles were right there in Blighty, so between that and being famous, they undoubtedly had better access than we did here. Still, can you imagine Geoge Harrison playing through a Marshall? It wouldn't have sounded right at all.

Back