Please disable the autoreplace/filter on the forum

bagman67

Epic Member
I, for one, am very grateful that Warmoth provides this forum for discussion not only of its products, but really, guitar and music and off-the-wall stuff of all kinds.  The level of maturity, the complexity of discussion, and the generosity of the forum membership is a rare thing indeed in internet-land.  I don't take this place for granted - I am proud to be a part of this community, and I feel like this community is entitled to be proud of its efforts to foster peaceful coexistence and thoughtful disagreement.

It is against that backdrop that I heartily suggest that the Ess Gee and other Gibson-related-terms filter is ridiculous.  It contributes more to any tendency to discuss Gibson in inflammatory terms than it does to discourage it.  The filter is, in a word, insulting.

I feel similarly about the profanity filters, but at least that's a rational -- if easily circumvented -- effort to keep the discourse child-friendly.  Turning off a lot of legitimate guitar-related vocabulary has no such justification.

Warmoth can do what it wants with this forum, and I'll keep coming back, and keep contributing and learning.  But this is a disappointment.

Respectfully,

Bagman

Hear, hear!

I agree 100%.

Turn the filter off, or at least limit its attention to the truly egregious and vulgar, not common language that even hyper-sensitive TV censors allow. When I can't describe a guitar because of its intrinsic or namesake pedigree, or call it a piece of shit if that's what it is without childish replacements that fool nobody, including the extremely rare teenager, then we're living some kind of baseless Orwellian fantasy run amok. It's unnecessary censorship and foolishness to the Nth degree.

I understand the desire to "protect the children", even if it is a specious argument, but this place goes to extremes that I wouldn't expect out of a religious site, let alone one that caters to musicians. Besides, how many children come here?

It's an insult to the membership, and should be abandoned.

Why would paralegals go in search of typical language? It'd be like searching Google for "sex". They'd get 8,927 bajillion hits. Then what? Talk about barking at the moon...

As I have no reason, it's an educated guess.  Gibson shapes no longer available, Gibson-esque words get auto corrected shortly thereafter.  Seems a reasonable explanation.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
As I have no reason, it's an educated guess.  Gibson shapes no longer available, Gibson-esque words get auto corrected shortly thereafter.  Seems a reasonable explanation.
There's plenty other forums, blogs and articles that may use the same words. Gibson is already aware of them using such words, so why would a para-legal even need worry about it? They're just words, and get used all over the net, it's not illegal to use names, especially if calling a particular product by name....Are they gonna sue everyone on the net for calling a S G and S G?
I doubt it... :glasses9:

I don't know.  Were those other forums an unofficial making spectacular copies of Gibson products?  Did they recently cease and desist with no real explanation to their forumites who were left to speculate?  Is paralegals the new fun word?

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I don't know.  Where those other forums an unofficial making spectacular copies of Gibson products?  Did they recently cease and desist with no real explanation to their forumites who were left to speculate?  Is paralegals the new fun word?
Probably not, I can see them making Warmoth stop calling their products the same as Gibson's, and are they really copies, Gibson doesn't make bolt on products? It only has to have a 10% difference to not be a copy.. :icon_biggrin:

Yep .... you get my FULL agreement on this too  :icon_thumright:

Especially because it has Automatically change all my links to pic's for my S G  Yella Terra.
And anyone else's too, that have used those initials in their P/Bucket or similar.

:dontknow:  Watch out all those that have an LP, you will be next to loose your pic's.
Plus don't use those initials as your forum name.  :laughing7:

It's really more of a Nuisance, than anything else. 

:icon_scratch:  It's like your banning certain letters of the alphabet, last I counted 24 were in the English one. 

Updown said:
:icon_scratch:  It's like your banning certain letters of the alphabet, last I counted 24 were in the English one.

You all failed your math tests. When I joined this forum, I had to solve for unknown variables to see those letters. I like the current system, but instead of "Short Horn," I suggest something more like "missing letter= 5log36 missing letter= 2log712" That keeps spammers and dumb people out. :blob7:

Warmoth: we are no longer making infringing bodies.
Gibson: ah, but someone said SG on you're forum, so we're still going to sue you into bankruptcy for that.

If they are unable to remove the filter for legal reasons, I vote it should also replace the word "Gibson" with something appropriate.

drewfx said:
If they are unable to remove the filter for legal reasons, I vote it should also replace the word "Gibson" with something appropriate.

Like "Turd-burglar?"

Isn't this "Unofficial" Warmoth?  I know that the Moderator is an employee, but this isn't technically part of the company, is it?

It's unofficial inasmuch as it's not a place where Warmoth actively censors or screws with discussions, but it's hosted and maintained at Warmoth's expense.  I'd say Warmoth exhibits remarkable tolerance of the occasional W-bash and non-W-related discussion, given that fact.  My beef is really with the obstacle to intelligent communication that the auto-swap inflicts.

Back