Pick Guard doesn't fit with control plate

deejaysham

Has anyone else out there built a Warmoth Shortscale bass? According to them, their SS pick guards are slightly different than their full size jazz pick guards but they are meant to work with normal full size jazz control plates. However, when I went to mount them I found the result below. What's my best course of action? Get good with a dremel quickly?

vGhM0J3.jpg

I've had that problem before with a Jaguar, but I blamed it on the mix of suppliers. Some parts came from Allparts, and others came from Warmoth. I suppose it doesn't matter why, only that you have to deal with it.

I wouldn't (and didn't) use a Dremel to mate the parts up - it's much too aggressive a tool so the chances of making things worse is pretty high. You need to be patient and work with sandpaper/blocks/files. Also, you have to be careful where you take material off the pickguard. It's not just that the parts match each other, they have to align when installed, which can be tricky to figure out. But, forewarned is forearmed.

Another option is to dump the little metal plate(s) and get a one-piece pickguard. It has the advantage of being fast and cheap, and doesn't look bad unless you had your heart set on using the plates as cosmetic highlights. I have a Jazzmaster here that I'm going that route with.

Thanks, Cagey! That was a wonderful suggestion. Not only did it work perfectly (and quickly) but it saved me buying a dremel also!

Back