PCW Tele

PhilHill

Owwwuuuuu! This here the Wolfman! Comin’ to you from KCIJ/1050 in Shreveport,  Bringin’ you the finest in country music. Today we have a new top ten hit from a young man up Washington way. His name is The Aaron. But he performs under the stage name of Dusty Router, with his trusty band The Rusty Bits. Here they are with their smash new hit “ You drank my beer, stole my truck, killed my dog and cut a cavity in my Heart”  Owwwuuuuuuuu!……

Sorry, had the radio up kinda loud.  I am at it again, I had a piece of cherry wood, 2”x2”x 18” just sitting around looking lonely. So, got me some paduak and a little walnut and put them all together.

lTxRPE.jpg

0oft13.jpg

Vw38i5.jpg

. Thinking it's time for a Tele again, I took my trusty template and scribed it then rough cut it out.

QhhSAs.jpg

Then using said template went over it with the routerbeast and finalized the shape.

jemeTm.jpg

LgV8lg.jpg

Kinda blocky and square so I gave it the angle treatment and started cutting holes in it. I mean what good is having all these tools if you can't cut holes in stuff.

4iWEAj.jpg

Pxzi9c.jpg

ufy4pW.jpg

fbZ5lL.jpg

I was quite proud of the fact that I actually got the string holes reasonably straight, something Leo didn't always achieve.

GY4VKC.jpg

At first I thought about putting the output jack on the pickguard but decided against it and flattened out a section of the side in the normal spot.

PCwzTj.jpg

A little more refinement later and we can begin the sanding, Have I mentioned how much I love sanding.............

mpuGrb.jpg

C9gJsz.jpg

After a little less than a decade of sanding ending up with 320 grit, we start to put some Tru Oil on to seal it up.

4uyqjC.jpg

And a possible pick guard out of walnut....

9LsMon.jpg

We shall see how it goes from here............. :headbang:            (Edited for grammer due to encroaching senility)

docteurseb said:
I really like your way of making a Tele comfortable ;-)

Thank you. I have never been a big fan of Fender's Comfort Contours. They work and I can agree that some kind of contours are needed, but Fender's always seemed so invasive. I wanted something less drastic but effective. Personal taste I guess......... :icon_thumright:

Mayfly said:
really great work there.  Ever thought of selling some of those?

Thanks. My nephew keeps telling me I should sell them on E-Bay. Not sure I want to get involved in that, but I have no objection to selling them. So far my problem has been that my finishing skills leave much to be desired. When I was younger I shared shop space with a friend who made high-end custom furniture. He was pretty good at finishes so I would farm-out my stuff to him. Nowadays I haven't found anyone local who can do it. So I'm slowly trying to learn to do it myself. Results have been mixed, but hopeful. Then I would have to figure out what to charge depending on level of fancy..... :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
Mayfly said:

Thanks. My nephew keeps telling me I should sell them on E-Bay. Not sure I want to get involved in that, but I have no objection to selling them. So far my problem has been that my finishing skills leave much to be desired. When I was younger I shared shop space with a friend who made high-end custom furniture. He was pretty good at finishes so I would farm-out my stuff to him. Nowadays I haven't found anyone local who can do it. So I'm slowly trying to learn to do it myself. Results have been mixed, but hopeful. Then I would have to figure out what to charge depending on level of fancy..... :icon_thumright:

Weeeellllll....

Would you consider leaving them in the raw and then shipping them down to Greg, aka Tonar?

Mayfly said:
PhilHill said:
Mayfly said:

Weeeellllll....

Would you consider leaving them in the raw and then shipping them down to Greg, aka Tonar?

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. From what I've seen of his work, he's certainly qualified. You've got me thinkin' on that now.............. :headbang:

PhilHill said:
Mayfly said:
PhilHill said:
Mayfly said:

Weeeellllll....

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. From what I've seen of his work, he's certainly qualified. You've got me thinkin' on that now.............. :headbang:

My thought is that you'd sell them to the customer (that'd be me) and mail it to Greg.  Then Greg and the customer (again that'd be me) work out exactly what to do with it. 

Should really bounce this off Greg come to think of it ...

it's always fun to watch what happens when you pop up with a "so I found myself in possession of these bits of lumber, guess I'll throw them together and make magic happen."  Lovely work as always, Phil.

yrs
Bagman

Please Phill, lay off the sauce before handling sharp objects.... :toothy12:

But still, that was hilarious.... :laughing11:

You so funny............LOL          Actually I was sober then. You don't want'a see what happens when I drink, for that matter, I don't want'a see what happens when I drink....... :tard:

PhilHill said:
You so funny............LOL          Actually I was sober then. You don't want'a see what happens when I drink, for that matter, I don't want'a see what happens when I drink....... :tard:
:eek:ccasion14:

Hey, that's mighty fine. I really like those beveled edges. They do the trick without straying too far from the overall shape.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rgand said:
Hey, that's mighty fine. I really like those beveled edges. They do the trick without straying too far from the overall shape.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thanks. The bevels have kinda become my trademark I guess. I just like the look and find them easier to finish sand than other edge treatments. I may have to come up with something else too though, don't want to get in a rut................. :laughing7:

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:

Thanks. The bevels have kinda become my trademark I guess. I just like the look and find them easier to finish sand than other edge treatments. I may have to come up with something else too though, don't want to get in a rut................. :laughing7:
And a great trademark that is! I like it a lot. Maybe on a future build I'll think about that.

Back