Paul Reed Smith finally wises up to plastic tuning buttons

Rick

Epic Member
We've been swapping metal tuning buttons to plastic for years. Or at least I have on my builds. Maybe he even read some posts here. He says it makes the guitar sound better, more midrange!, or at least not robbing the midrange. I will say it makes the neck lighter and easier to play. People believe him so ...

Last edited:
Cream or Black ... what no pearloid? I like how he presents it as some sort of significant event, like a moon landing.

Long live plastic!

Last edited:
I love the fact that PRS still improves their guitars, while all other build the same thing since the 50s.
That being said, I think it's a mistake swapping the durable material for plastic for that smidge of midrange...if thats even there.

I do like plastic buttons better, but from a weight perspective. I've never had a plastic buttin fail me. Long live plastic and the hydrocarbon upon which it is based.

I assume the buttons on a Schaller M6 locking tuner are at least somewhat similar to those on the Phase 3 PRS locking tuners. A metal M6 button I just weighed came in at 6.8 grams—less than a quarter ounce. The whole tuner, button and all, comes in at about 41 grams. If the new plastic buttons weigh 3 grams (a number I just pulled out of thin air), we're talking about a total weigh savings of just under 22.8 grams, which is less than an ounce. Total. On a guitar where the weight of any given model looks like it hovers between 6.5 and 8 lbs.

Last edited:
Plastic buttons are more expensive than metal, unbelievably enough. For hipshots, 6 plastic are $20 while 6 metal are $15.
6 stock metal button are 40 grams
While 6 plastic buttons are 8 grams.
Saves you over an once at the end of the headstock. I know you probably disbelieve me, but I can tell the difference when it comes to weight. I can tell there's an an ounce less at the end of the headstock.

As to sound, honestly never noticed, but if PRS says it's true, he must have some scientific testing that showed something an oscilliscope. My ears aren't that good.

Last edited:
I'm sure the difference is probably less than the weight you could shave off your arm by skipping a couple cheeseburgers.

I can tell the difference.

he must have some scientific testing that showed something an oscilliscope

press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

We all need a good laugh with those marketing videos.
If he dreamt of these for 40+ years, I'd imagine he would have had those buttons made when they had custom Gotoh tuners made for them (Phase III) years ago.

What an absolute pile of wank. "Weight on the neck robs the midrange!"

Really? You're telling me that shaving... what... four grams? MAYBE? off a five kilo guitar changes the tone that much? Tell me how much of TEH TOANZ are saved by using a 22 fret neck. ALL THAT WEIGHT SAVINGS.

WAIT UNTIL HE DISCOVERS THE FRACKING MIDRANGE CONTROL ON HIS AMP and what it can do.

How to cut costs and lie to your ignorant buyers all at once. PRS has been marketing wank taped to some good instruments for a while. Anything coming out of this dude's mouth at this point should be assumed to be garbage.

Back