Pau ferro similar to maple?

Marco78

Hi boys, I want to order a maple neck, because I prefer the sound of the maple fretboard on Strato guitar, but I hate the finish under my fingers and so I thinked to order a classic rosewood neck.

Now I'm thinking to choose a Pau ferro fingerboard to have the snappy attack of maple. Is it a good idea? Aesthetically and feeling is similar to rosewood?

Thanks a lot

This forum is stunning!!!

If you want a darker wood that sounds like maple then yes, Pau is a good way to go. You could order a completely pau ferro neck. Many on this forum have done so and the results have always been stunning. It doesn't require a finish.

Jumble Jumble said:
If you want a darker wood that sounds like maple then yes, Pau is a good way to go. You could order a completely pau ferro neck. Many on this forum have done so and the results have always been stunning. It doesn't require a finish.

I want a darker wood because it doesn't require a finish, that I hate on fretboard. For the neck no problem with finish. My project is a "classic" strat guitar (in tone and aesthetically) so only maple for the neck for this project. ;)

They look similar, especially with a very dark piece of pau ferro, but honestly, You don't generally feel the fretboard. It's more a matter of tone and durability.

Altar said:
They look similar, especially with a very dark piece of pau ferro, but honestly, You don't generally feel the fretboard. It's more a matter of tone and durability.

ok thanks!!!

Marco78 said:
Hi boys, I want to order a maple neck, because I prefer the sound of the maple fretboard on Strato guitar, but I hate the finish under my fingers and so I thinked to order a classic rosewood neck.

That doesn't make much sense. Rosewood is pretty much the opposite of Maple. Whereas Maple is bright and lively, Rosewood is much warmer. If you like Maple, you would probably be better off ordering a Pau Ferro neck, or Padauk or Canary. Then top it with whatever fretboard you like.

drewfx said:
Pau Ferro is much smoother feeling than rosewood - closer to ebony.
I'd say Pau Ferro's somewhere between the two. It really depends on the very piece of wood - like I've seen very dense and closed grain rosewood which was almost like ebony too. But generally Pau Ferro is definitely smoother and more closed than Rosewood.

line6man said:
That doesn't make much sense. Rosewood is pretty much the opposite of Maple. Whereas Maple is bright and lively, Rosewood is much warmer. If you like Maple, you would probably be better off ordering a Pau Ferro neck, or Padauk or Canary. Then top it with whatever fretboard you like.

Indeed I have open this 3d... also I think to allpart that don't have this exotic wood.

Back