Pau Ferro Shaft and Fingerboard Finish?

Jecht

Hello! I mentioned this in my previous thread in the body woods section, but I'm planning a build heavily inspired by Reb Beach's Suhr guitar. As a result I'm looking at ordering a neck with a pau ferro shaft and fingerboard. I know pau ferro fingerboards aren't finished, but I was wondering about the shaft? I'm thinking no because the builder does not give an option for a finish when pau ferro is selected. I'm also hoping that's the case, because I prefer the feel of an unfinished neck. I tried to search for this online, but could only find information regarding pau ferro fingerboards.

No finish on a pau ferro neck is the best finish.  Smooth as glass and a miracle to play.  See here: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19901.msg293776#msg293776

Examples of PF unfinished and burnished:

RKa74ITl.jpg

SSBE4ivl.jpg

Yep, don't a finish on pau ferro.  Only issue I have with it, is that it feels very smooth.  So if you like very smooth, go for it.

rick2 said:
Yep, don't a finish on pau ferro.  Only issue I have with it, is that it feels very smooth.  So if you like very smooth, go for it.

Hi Rick. I did NOT burnish my Pau Ferro neck and it has quite a matte appearance to it and feels very comfortable. This isn't a thread dissing burnishing, I just wanted to say that you can encounter slightly more "rough" Pau Ferro - mine is a super dark variety with deep yellow striations into it - utterly gorgeous. The pores are very open and the neck feels extremely comfortable to play.

Back