Pau Ferro / Pau Ferro Baritone Neck

TroubledTreble

When I found that Warmoth was offering the bari neck with the fatback contour, my wait was over. I had wanted a bari neck but needed the fatback contour. I decided I wanted to put it on my beloved BK strat. I love the guitar but the original Ziricote neck was the SRV profile. It had become less comfortable since having some fatbacks. So I ordered a Pau Ferro / Pau Ferro bari neck. No dots of course.

I've had it on for a month and half or so and I can hardly put it down. The neck feels soOOoo good! I love a raw neck. I tried a few of my other necks on the BK and nothing sounds better than the denser wood necks. I think they compliment each other very nicely tone wise. I love the stretched out scale. It was a real work out at first but I have become accustomed to it. It takes a bit of getting used to needing to adjust the bends a bit. It takes a bit more to get the same effect.

The neck is just beautiful and it works perfectly with the guitar. I am so happy with it and highly recommend a Pau Ferro neck. I could go on and on about it.

I've wound some pickups just for this guitar. They are built very similar to a Mustang. No poles showing. The winds were adjusted for the range. Here a couple of clips. The first is a new project I am working on. Just  a short "synapse" of it. I am starting to stray away from a lot of what I used to play and it's very refreshing. Just what I needed.
The second clip is a favorite of mine. Again shortened. It's fun to play it on a different scale. It gives it a different feel. This clip I did when I first put it together and was getting used to the neck. Just a little of the intro.

http://roadhousepickups.com/Clips/Walking%20Home.mp3                                                    http://roadhousepickups.com/Clips/BariLenShort.mp3

PFPFN1.jpg

BK%20Bari.jpg

PFPFB1.jpg

Bk%20Bari1.jpg

Duuuuuuuuuuude. That is one sweet gee-tar you have there.  :cool01:

Gotta love Pau Ferro.

'Tis a fine thing you have built there, Mr. Treble.

I'd think TT was stalking me except he usually gets where I'm going first. Nice one. BTW - I switched out my gold pickguard screws for black, and I love the look. (Rest of HW is still gold, just not the pickguard screws in a black pickguard)

how is it strung & tuned?  if you want something that will take you out of the cliche zone, try parallel fourths tuning.  It's not totally foreign, but  many guitar cliche's are centered around thriads on the  GBE strings. it makes sense, since the patterns don't change but it does force you to come up with a brand new set of cliche's :)  (but you still have the  "hook  the low G on the up to A, or down to E"  if you feel lonely for some of your old friends.)

Very nice wood combo, good string definition too :icon_thumright: Thought you had gone
to the darkside for a sec on the p/u's  :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks all!

Swarf, you are leading me on the screws. But only a little. I am either going to put black headed screws or most likely I will treat them with Blueing compound. I have some for hardened and chromed parts and it works well to dull the finish.

I tune it B to B at the moment I definitely want to try some alternate tunings. Can you list a few of what you mentioned? Any one else doing alt tunings?

Dark side on the pickups? Never!  :laughing3: Actually I have another experimental set to try out as well. So many pickups so little time...

BTW the pickguard is a matte black guard single ply. I think it's much better than the B/W/B that I originally had.

Yeah, I heard Roadhouse is busy, but he might be able to hook you up anyway.  :icon_jokercolor:

I haven't gone looking for black switch screws yet. I like the black strat knobs though. Hmmm.
blackscrews_zps7f1abd90.png

I tune my 24.75", strung 13-56 to parallel fourths, Eb/Ab/C#/F#/B/E. I'm not much on open and drop tunings, but I have played a little with major and minor thirds, and fifths (ack). I would have given up on P4, and in fact I did try earlier and quit, except for my year long  diad voiced chord melody experiment. I've been playing that way long enough now, and since I was figuring out voicings first using a regular tuning first,  and learning a new tuning second, it really helped with making the ear/head/finger connection.  (If you want to learn a new tool, don't spend too long studying the tool, figure out how it works, and start using it for tasks)

I love it now, and I'm beginning to transition back into other stuff using P4.

Thanks Doug!... you know I put this guitar together (originally) back before you were making chips from plates. I think I know what would be perfect to finish it off.  :icon_thumright:

Hmmmmmm........ :icon_scratch:

TroubledTreble said:
Thanks Doug!... you know I put this guitar together (originally) back before you were making chips from plates. I think I know what would be perfect to finish it off.  :icon_thumright:

Hmmmmmm........ :icon_scratch:
:headbang1:

TroubledTreble said:
I've wound some pickups just for this guitar. They are built very similar to a Mustang. No poles showing. The winds were adjusted for the range. Here a couple of clips. The first is a new project I am working on. Just  a short "synapse" of it. I am starting to stray away from a lot of what I used to play and it's very refreshing. Just what I needed.
I've often wondered why there are no baritone pickups.  Granted, it would be a small market, but considering how many different pickups SD and Dimarzio makes, it's kinda surprising that there are not one baritone set.

Arhhhhh ......... Sex on a stick  :headbang:  Pau-Ferro / Pau-Ferro  :icon_thumright:

Back