Pau Ferro neck

ericar

Hi
Just got my first Warmoth project underway. My first pau ferro neck feels amazing. You can't even feel the grain. Smooth.
I will use it only in my music room that is kept at around 45% humidity in the winter by using a humidifier and in the summer
months we have anywhere from 60% to 90% humidity. I don't have sweaty or dirty hands when I play so should I do anything like lemon or mineral oil?

Agree on the great feel of pau ferro!  I have one, as well as a wenge neck, and am totally sold on raw necks.  I personally don't think you need to be any more careful with raw necks than you do any other neck.  I keep the room where I store my guitars at 45% as well, but I have also taken them traveling for a couple weeks at a time, and take them out to gigs and practices regularly.  I haven't encountered any problems or stability issues at all.  As far as maintenance, I wipe them down with Gerlitz Guitar Honey every couple of weeks, which seems to do a  good job of cleaning off any playing grime and keeping the wood nice, moisturized, and slick feeling. 

Pau ferro is one sexy neck wood. If I could only have one guitar, it would probably have to have a pau ferro neck. I've never done anything to mine except use it. I've had it for about 9 months, so it might be too soon to talk about its response to the environment. Still, that takes it through a Michigan fall/winter/spring so it's seen some wild changes and continues to be a rock. It's a Warmoth Pro design, and I'd recommend one to anybody. Bit heavy, but I don't care. Worth it. And for the feel? Even if I had to adjust it once or twice a year (which I don't), I'd still do it again. Lovely thing.

Back