Passive 2-band?

W

whyachi

Is it possible to wire multiple tone knobs on a passive bass? Read, could I have a stack knob for bass-treble (cut only, obviously) on a fully passive system?

I'm asking because I was told to go 250k on the pots and all I can find stacked are 250k/500k and 500k/500k.

It should work just fine. You could use the 250K/500k, using the 250K portion for the standard tone (treble cut), and the 500K portion for the bass cut. Here's an article that describes how to wire a passive bass cut:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-tech-articles/773-tight-control-simple-passive-bass-cut.html

Why would you want less bass on a bass? For chording, I guess? Also note that those values were designed for low-tuned guitars, so when he's talking about the lows he's talking about the mids on a bass. I guess to apply that to bass you'd have to do a lot of experimenting with cap values. Seems a lot easier and more useful to get a used bass EQ pedal.

For options, really. I'm resigned to doing a fairly standard bass for financial reasons so I'm trying to find something subtle - and inexpensive - to make it special.

yes the difference would be you can only cut and not boost. the bass vi i know of has its strangle switch which must be similar, that uses a 0.003 cap so smaller than tone knobs. it would just involve an RC high pass filter.

If you have to, you can always wire a 250k resistor across the ends of the pot for 250k total - the taper will be askew a bit, but... it works.

'Nudder thing - the Qfilters work pretty well on bass - though you might need two.

Back