passing the torch

ocguy106

Well the post with the young man from OZ who is 13 saving for his first guitar got me thinking of my first guitar (at 13 as well). So here it is. My daughter says it is her's so I am teaching her a couple of simple cords. It is now her guitar so the torch has been passed.

Anyone still have their first guitar.

DSC00990.jpg

I bought it brand new for $250!!! actually a long story but GC was having a blow out sale and I thought I got a really good deal. Turns out the salesman had a drug habit and was having a sale of his own and pocketing all the cash. The floyd rose was missing some wrenches so when I called the next day to get them the Manager informed me that the guitar was stolen and should not have left the store for less then 4-5 hundred. I guess cause I was only 13 he felt bad for me and and let me keep it without paying the differance. At the time Floyd roses were going for 250 so it was a really good deal. It looks pretty much like the day I got it.

My first guitar was one of these, Silvertone Arch top hollow. Big giant boat things, I soon traded with some cash for a used beat up '76 Les Paul. That I loaned to my brother and have never seen it since... :dontknow: 

So i guess I'd say my first solid body was the Les Paul.. :icon_thumright:

GoDrex said:
I pretty much destroyed my first guitar.

I hope my boys want to play. :)

The important thing is not to force it upon them...

oh and here's a pic of my son when he was exactly a month old!  :icon_biggrin:
JaidenCiarn4weeksolds004.jpg

HA!

That pic is funny. 

On another note, it's cool to be recognized Also, my dad gave me his old guitar (not that he new how to play) IT was a Honda E-35 acoustic, the only one that i think still exists, i can't find ANYWHERE this exact model of hondo acoustic guitar.Closest i came to it was a Hondo E-35h

Yes I still have it.

Bought it back in 85.  Had $600 to buy a car.  '77 Gibson Les Paul and 50w Peavey for $300 at a pawn shop.  Ended up with a $300 car that sucked but the guitar was well worth the car pain.

hahahaha that picture is great!

I don't think I'll be forcing them to do anything let alone play guitar. I wouldn't want to do that anyway. It's got to be something you want to do.

OK I changed my mind.

owenstrat3.jpg

"Take your thumb out of your mouth and go work on your alternate picking!! It's sloppy and needs work! Also your bends are out of tune! And no I won't 'put nines on it' for you! Real men use 13's!" :laughing3:

GoDrex said:
"Take your thumb out of your mouth and go work on your alternate picking!! It's sloppy and needs work! Also your bends are out of tune! And no I won't 'put nines on it' for you! Real men use 13's!" :laughing3:

Too funny - way to go, Dad
a1429.gif

Gregg - I posit that anyone posting any audio/video material from Jack Black should  be henceforth excommunicated from the board...

Gregg - I posit that anyone that anyone who uses the word posit should be henceforth excommunicated from the board...

Back