Pass around Pick-ups

DocNrock said:
Lets see, for my next car, should I consider a Corvette or a repro Corvair?

FIAT 128, they're going to be the next big thing.

DocNrock said:
Lets see, for my next car, should I consider a Corvette or a repro Corvair?

Now THAT is funny!!  I am not saying I agree with all of this, just wanted to let you know how many Les Paul types think. Most people would not care about a perfect bevel on a TRC, but those who do, pay what it takes to have it.  As far as prices on pickups, well, some people pay for the best tone they can get, and what BEST is varies from one person to the next.

Hey Skatterbrane, welcome. We know there are people who'll pay $65 for a plastic truss rod cover, it's just that some of us think those people are idiots. Most people here have more of an 'engineering' perspective on the guitar than most of those les paul truss rod cover buyers. We want nice sound great looks and decent value for the most part. If we cared about exact copies of the original, we wouldn't be fans of a company selling bolt-on Les Paul bodies.
Come to think of it, I just bought a $27 truss rod cover but it was made of ebony with a hand-inlaid MOP design.
I'm sure your pickups are great, your clips sound great, but so do a million and one PAFs out there. Good luck selling them, and I think the offer to pass them around is very generous.

Yes, I fully understand this is not my market.  First important step in business is "Identify your market" For those who build their own custom guitars or have them built, they are not interested in Historic accuracy, or they would be building replicas not copies. And there is no way to expect a toneclip to fully relay the subtlties of tone. No worries here.

Uhhhhh,,,,,,....I don't think I have built a copy of anything.  I'm just saying.......

You almost started to win me over, but then here comes the "replica" vs. "copy" argument.  I assembled my Warmoths for the exact reason that I did not want a replica, or a copy.  I just want a guitar that is all me.  Those Les Paul guys look like a bunch of... well, this is not the place for that kind of language. 

I was not trying to draw that fine a point really. Most guitars are inspired by Les Pauls, ES-335s, Telecasters or Stratocasters, but certainly not all. Are there not Warmoth Strats?  I am just saying I understand this forum's philosophy is not Vintage Correct oriented. Hence, not identified as my market. I know this. It was not my idea to do this pass around, and I think it is not a good idea to do so after all.

Oh, I finally looked at those links!!!!! Holy virgin ice cream hole, $120 for two nickel pickup covers????????

Let's see, I could build myself a nice W tele just for slide playing,  for the price of four speed knobs, some cracked pickup covers, a rusty tremolo bar, and a 'heavy aged' cream LP toggle switch ring?    :icon_scratch: :sad: :help: Gosh, I'm so torn! What should I do??? :sign13:

Yes, it's a 'different market' with 'different customers'. Glad it's a big world with lots of choices.

Oh drag, I think he quit.  Poor guy, he should relax and build fun guitars with us :)

dbw said:
Oh drag, I think he quit.  Poor guy, he should relax and build fun guitars with us :)

No I don't think he quit.

It wasn't actually his idea to come here and promote his stuff. I actually contacted him about the idea because I used his stuff and was very satisfied. I wanted a way to share my experiance without imposing "my thoughts" and give people a chance to get past the price and actually put them into there own gear and try them out with no obligation. Rod is a great guy that treated me well when I was looking for pick-ups, and I thought that this board would have been a little more receptive to trying new things. I know that some people searching the intenet make snap judgments purely based on price and I thought this would be a good way to get these in the hands of hobbist and builders. See if the folks over at Seymore Duncan or anywhere else for that matter will send you a pair of pick-ups with no money up front for you to play with for a week. Anyway that is my .02 for what it's worth.

Ken

This was a unique discription for the pickups: "They have very rich woman tones, very expressive vowel sounds". 

And this needs a +1000: 
tfarny said:
Holy virgin ice cream hole

ocguy106 said:
I wanted a way to share my experiance without imposing "my thoughts" and give people a chance to get past the price and actually put them into there own gear and try them out with no obligation.

how do you get past the price? I don't understand that part. :icon_scratch:

Yeah, ocguy, it's cool what you tried to do, I feel bad if I helped mess it up. You're right that 'show me' would be a good way to convince this crowd, and I'm actually building an LP and may have been interested in trying them out, despite my ridicule - I just don't think I would have bought them. And he did sound like a good guy and very straight-up.

But personally I'd like to know how his pickups are actually different than a set of SD '59s or Fralin PAFs, to say they have 'very expressive vowel sounds' and 'your guitar will talk' is just gibberish - if you can make your guitar talk, it's because you're a good player and you know how to use a wah. Besides that, the $65 plastic truss rod cover (it's probably a $0.25 part to make) is worthy of ridicule. If you're in business and on the internet, you've got to be able to take criticism and it seems like he can, so that's good. Just too bad that he rescinded the offer to check out his pups - he might in fact have found buyers here. I rave about Lollar every chance I get, based on only one pickup I bought.

GoDrex said:
ocguy106 said:
I wanted a way to share my experiance without imposing "my thoughts" and give people a chance to get past the price and actually put them into there own gear and try them out with no obligation.

how do you get past the price? I don't understand that part. :icon_scratch:

Lindy Fralins are 120 a piece without covers...that is 240 for a set covers would add another 10-15 per p-up for a total of $270. these are $295 if you are going to compare apples to apples that is pretty close in price

For some reason if I just want a single pickup it's $200. That's like Bareknuckle prices.

I listened to the sound clips, and heard nothing that I couldn't get out of a set of $100  pup's.....Sounds a bit rediculous to me..... :dontknow:

But the trial idea is pretty cool.....

the soundclip was awesome and had great tone. not the tone i want but i do respect it.

Back