Paint store options: Surf Green Strat

garrisongreen

I am refinishing my VG Strat to a Surf Green color.  I sanded off the original three color burst, stained the wood with Minwax oil stain just in case the paint either wears through or I decide to relic it some day, then did three coats of Bullseye unwaxed spray can shellac as a sanding sealer.  I sanded to 220 between coats.  Now I going straight to the color coats.

So I went to my local paint store to check out the options.  Getting the Surf Green color was no problem in either and oil alkyd base or an acrylic water based latex.  The paint store personnel felt that the oil based alkyd paint would spray better, so I decided to give it a try.  I am using a Pre Val spray device where you fill the attached jar and then spray it through the pressurized can.  I mixed the paint with a thinner, about two parts paint to one part thinner per the Pre Val instructions.  I sprayed the first coat today fairly thin.  The oil paint requires overnight drying between coats (a disadvantage I didn't really think about in the store) so this process could take a while as I expect to put at least four coats of color before clear coating.

I have seen very little discussion of the use of house paints like these to paint guitars, but nothing I read about these paints suggests any obvious reason why they wouldn't work.  Am I missing something?  Why is all the discussion about using poly and nitro?  I understand the advantages and vintage appeal of nitro, but I like the idea of going down to my neighborhood store and having them mix the exact shade of paint I want rather than buying nitro mail order in premixed shades at $15 a can. 

So, my question is:  what's wrong with using house paint?

Good question... I look forward to answers from people who (unlike me) know what they're talking about re: finishes.

And I hope to see some pics of how yours turns out!  (Don't feel like you need to wait until its all done!)

I'll post some pics soon and report on my progress.  Maybe it will become clear why this isn't how it's usually done.  But a guitar body is just a piece of wood, and I'm not sure why there should be any problems with using house paint.  These paints are formulated for use on a wide variety of materials and applications including wood and metal, indoors and out.  Stay tuned. 

Hey, I refinished a very beat up, and already painted over (at least twice) Telecaster Deluxe with KIWI BROWN SHOEPOLISH, so go for it with the house paint.

I suspect you are after a vintage custom color so why reinvent the wheel for Surf Green?  You can get the old Fender custom colors in nitro in rattle cans.  When you spray clear coat and buff it out you'll have a beautiful finish that will age gracefully.  There's nothing wrong with a poly finish, but they look like garbage when people try to relic them and they often they look like a piece of mass produced candy.  I just prefer a vintage style finish on my instruments.  I've finished/refinished over 6 guitars now with Shell Pink, Lake Placid Blue, Inca Silver, Fiesta Red, Translucent Gretsch Orange, and Vintage Blonde.  In as little as two years time I am getting wear through spots and age marks that really add character to the guitar.  Best of all it's natural from normal play--no tricks or shortcuts.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck on yours...   

Back