padouk with ebody

vtpcnk

according to warmoth, a padouk neck doesn't need a finish.

so how is the feel of a padouk neck in comparison to the neck finishes warmoth offers?

is it smooth enough?

and any specific wood for the body which goes well with a padouk/ebony neck?

just read a bit here on the board. people like raw necks over finish. because finish is so smooth, you aren't able to play as fast or slick or smooth, so to say.

padouk feels VERY nice. very natural, very easygoing, and it 'lives'. combined with ebony, you're in for a killer tone, feel and looks.

I just received my second padouk neck. No finish on either one of them and they feel great.

why are so many posts in this forum about padouk/ebony about bass necks?

i don't see so many about regular guitar necks?

is there something with the combination of these woods with regards low frequencies or weight etc?

I have tried no finish , light nitro and oil  on my padouk/ebony neck .. I like the oil the best.

It works quite well with my Koa top/mahogony G4 . 

is a padouk/ebody neck heavier than say maple/maple or maple/rosewood?

would a 4 to 4 1/2 lbs body work fine with it? or will it be neck heavy?

Both of mine are standard 6 string necks. I don't recall the weight, but one is a '59 roundback and one is a boatback. Both are, I guess, a bit hefty. They balance great on my VIP.

>They balance great on my VIP.

how heavy is the vip? do you remember the weight of the bare body when you bought it?

appreciate the feedback.

No, sorry, I can't recall the body weight. It is a hollow black korina, though, if that helps at all. Also, I use a very wide padded leather strap, so that may affect how the balance feels to me. But, it does indeed feel fine.

Back