Padouk neckdive?

line6man

Epic Member
I was just about ready to go with a Padouk Jazz bass neck, until someone on TalkBass warned me of neckdive...

How bad is the neckdive on a Padouk Jazz bass neck, with Ultralite tuners?

FWIW, the body is currently a cheap Squier Agathis body, but it will eventually be an Alder body.
I do all my playing sitting down with no strap.

If you're sitting down I don't think it's going to be a problem. I had a guitar that was terribly neck heavy, but I could play it sitting down fine. It's mainly on a strap where it's a problem, IMO.

Most exotic woods will be dense and heavy... I wouldn't even consider bolting it to agathis. get that alder there as soon as possible.

GoDrex said:
If you're sitting down I don't think it's going to be a problem. I had a guitar that was terribly neck heavy, but I could play it sitting down fine. It's mainly on a strap where it's a problem, IMO.

Really?

If a couple more poeple can confirm this, i may be ordering a Padouk neck tomorrow afternoon, but otherwise, its going to be BE Maple.

rockskate4x said:
Most exotic woods will be dense and heavy... I wouldn't even consider bolting it to agathis. get that alder there as soon as possible.

I would be overjoyed to ditch the Agathis and use an Alder body, but i don't have the money for a good body right now.

Well, if you can wait a month or two for your answer, I have a padouk necked swamp ash V2 coming.  If any padouk-necked guitar is going to neck-dive, it will be that one.  But I have faith that it won't.  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.matbase.com/material/wood/class1-25-years/african-padouk/properties

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_wood.htm

Padouk has a density of 650 kg/m3, sugar (hard) maple has a density of 755 kg/m3. Padouk is lighter than maple, rosewood or ebony. Moisture content, growing conditions and grain density have a huge effect, natch. For fun, compare to mahogany in the second table there.

I have a padouk/ebony neck on my G4 which is a smaller body than my Jazz bass and no neck dive problems.

stubhead said:
http://www.matbase.com/material/wood/class1-25-years/african-padouk/properties

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_wood.htm

Padouk has a density of 650 kg/m3, sugar (hard) maple has a density of 755 kg/m3. Padouk is lighter than maple, rosewood or ebony. Moisture content, growing conditions and grain density have a huge effect, natch. For fun, compare to mahogany in the second table there.

Padouk is lighter?
I was told that "A padouk is going to make the neck a boat anchor. Pretty wood but will equal horrible neck dive."

So you guys all feel that i should be fine with Padouk wood in regards to neck dive, am i correct?
My order may be going in today or tomorrow.

If you primarily play sitting down, then "neck dive" shouldn't be a big issue.

Padouk is one of the few exotic woods I haven't used in a build yet, but I think generally most people's concerns about various exotic woods used as creating "neck-dive" simply from looking at wood density charts is pretty overblown. Of all the exotics guitar necks I've bought, th Gregg e only one that ever felt noticably heavier in the hand was a pau ferro neck.

That being said, a Squire agathis body is about as light as you're going to get. When you get around to ordering a new body, just stay away from the extra/ultra lightweight bodies you'd have to pay a premium for anyway and you'll probably be alright.

Maybe it's time to ping Gregg again about adding neck weights to the new website?

Ok guys, i did it!

I put in an order for a Padouk/Pau Ferro fretless Jazz bass neck, with fingerboard FB194

Here is the fingerboard i choose:
FB194a.jpg

So what should i do regarding an oil finish?

What oil do i use, and how do i go about doing it?

Ok guys, again i am feeling paranoid.

I am thinking about buying a body from the showcase that weights in at 5lb 4oz...
Does this sound good to you guys? or should i hold out for something heavier.

What kind of body? For most I would say go for it, but some designs are inherently neck heavy like SG's LPS's Firebirds and etc.

What kind of body? For most I would say go for it, but some designs are inherently neck heavy like SG's LPS's Firebirds and etc.

Its going to be a standard Jazz Bass.
Like i said, i get paranoid about everything, so i would rather that the body he heavy so that the neck doesn't dive.
I like heavy guitars anyways, because they just sustain forever. :icon_biggrin:

I am choosing right now on whether i should buy the showcase body, or if i should get a 5lb 11oz unfinished body and get a paint shop to finish it the same color, but in satin Nitro.

Back