overdrive

I said in my intro message that I'm not big on effects but I went out and bought a BD-2 today. They had a Keeley modded one in the case right next to it. I was surprised because I was just looking at that last night on the net. Anwyay, I would have liked to have gotten the Keeley modded version but the price on it was 340 bucks marked down to 270. Remember that I'm in Japan. I figured it would be cheaper for me to grab the Boss BD-2 and sent it to Keeley and have it modded for another 60 bucks. I'll definitely do that probably around the end of March. For now it's going to be stock.
MULLY
I really appreciate that link.......my wife doesn't  :help:

I usually chime in on the pedal threads. I am also a big advocate of building your own. Short of that, buying a commercial pedal and modding it youself is a cheap way of having what you want. There are tons of resources on the net that explain how guys like Keeley and Analog Mike do their mods, and the parts are dirt cheap. For instance, you could buy a TS-7 for about $30 used, and mod it to TS808 specs for less than $10 more, including changing out the IC.
Of course, you don't get bragging rights of being enough of a sucker to pay $200 or more for a TS clone, but you do get the pride of building or modding it by yourself.

ildar said:
I usually chime in on the pedal threads. I am also a big advocate of building your own. Short of that, buying a commercial pedal and modding it youself is a cheap way of having what you want. There are tons of resources on the net that explain how guys like Keeley and Analog Mike do their mods, and the parts are dirt cheap. For instance, you could buy a TS-7 for about $30 used, and mod it to TS808 specs for less than $10 more, including changing out the IC.
Of course, you don't get bragging rights of being enough of a sucker to pay $200 or more for a TS clone, but you do get the pride of building or modding it by yourself.

I wouldn't be opposed to modding something myself if I knew what the hell I was doing. You have any of those links you'd like to share? hehe!!
MULLY

mullyman said:
ildar said:

I wouldn't be opposed to modding something myself if I knew what the hell I was doing. You have any of those links you'd like to share? hehe!!
MULLY

Sure:

www.tonepad.com
www.diystompboxes.com  (requires registration)
www.generalguitargadgets.com
www.runoffgroove.com

Just to name a few.

Just to add another mod site to Ildar's list.  They sell the parts in kits for a bunch of pedals.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

ildar said:
mullyman said:
ildar said:

MULLY

Sure:

www.tonepad.com
www.diystompboxes.com  (requires registration)
www.generalguitargadgets.com
www.runoffgroove.com

Just to name a few.

Thanks, man. I'll check them out.
MULLY

I love my BBE Green Screamer.  It's a little less ballsy than the tube screamer, but only slightly, with more upper mid's.  You can find them on amazon for $65 bucks.  Gearwire has a demo. I play mostly rootsy rock and punk, when using an electric and it suits me fine.  It was fine right out of the box, came with a battery, wall wart and five year guaranty.  Did not need any mods.

An interesting thing to do, is to cascade your green screamer into another distortion pedal like a pro-rat.  But first get your tube screamer clone, get to understand it.  For me, just the tube screamer is fine.

I agree with Ildar, the building it yourself or modding it yourself is a great way to go.  Not only is it cheaper, you start to get a feel for what they do with the pedals.  I understand that Keely, Analogman, and Zvex have to make a living, but it is very easy to do yourself and hundreds of dollars cheaper.  For me to build a pedal from scratch always turns out to be about 40 bucks for everything, shipping included.  If I buy a kit it is 100 bucks.  If I buy a boutique pedal it is $150 on up.  It takes some getting used to, but the sites Ildar listed have a lot of resources and users that can direct you to pretty much exactly what you are looking for.  The obscure Clay Jones TS9, got it...  It is really a lot like building your own guitars and basses, just more flux in the air.  And then you get into building tube amps, and that is another level of, oh nevermind...
Patrick

shanejw said:
It's nothing special, but I just got a Marshall Jackhammer off ebay for $20 to try out.

The older Marshall pedals were great platforms for mods, don't know about the newer ones. Let us know how it sounds...post some clips.

The four older Marshalls (in the big black boxes) are all good sounding pedals. I have the shredmaster and it's good for metal, much better than Boss & Digitech metal boxes.

Kostas said:
The four older Marshalls (in the big black boxes) are all good sounding pedals. I have the shredmaster and it's good for metal, much better than Boss & Digitech metal boxes.

I built a Shredmaster clone (plus a switch to flick in my own mods to the clipping section) and I actually can't stand metal. I find it easier to get a better, more responsive cranked Marshall tone than it was with all the Line 6 gear I've owned (Pod 2.0, Vetta II, X3). I also really dig it for light gain and just breaking up tone.

I've been meaning to build a shredmaster for a while, still haven't gotten around to it.
Did you use a PCB? If so, where did you buy it?

shanejw said:
What kind of overdrive pedals do you guys like?  I'm in the market to replace my tubescreamer.  I'm thinking the BBE Green Screamer, but I've only begun looking.  I don't need anything too crazy, just a little distortion.

What kind of amp are you playing through? Its hard to beat the Maxon OD808 as you can use it as a clean boost and if you want more gain just turn it up.It will turn a clean channel into a blues machine and a dirty channel into a metal monster if so desired.The Build Your Own Clone stuff is great too.You might check out their screamer.It is true bypass and has all the latest mods you could ever want included.

The amp is a Carvin MTS 3200 full stack.  I've looked at the Maxon pedals too, we'll have to see how the Marshall turns out.

ildar said:
I've been meaning to build a shredmaster for a while, still haven't gotten around to it.
Did you use a PCB? If so, where did you buy it?

Got the PCB for the Shredmaster and the DOD 440 Envelope Filter from BYOC and put them in one box. (Jonny Greenwood?) I used switchable jacks for an FX loop so that unconnected the signal path is Shredmaster-->Filter. But I can also use the FX Loop between them, or even reverse the signal path if I want. In retrospect, I wouldn't bother with the same housing again.

I've also built one of BYOC's 5-knob compressor full kits because I didn't think I'd be able to fit it in the 1590B enclosure, whereas they send you one pre-drilled.

General Guitar Gadgets also has a bunch of kits. They are priced a little cheaper, but BYOC's often include additional modifications, whether it's optional mods or a toggle switch to insert a mod.

Got the Jackhammer last night.  My first impression so far is that it's pretty useful.  By far the best $20 I've spent on a pedal.  Doesn't have a lot of "spank" in the overdrive mode, but it does well enough for me, and the distortion mode isn't that bad either!

Back