Ovation Breadwinner Body Style

Dimitri, ovations are weird ducks, but they are known for being one of the best-playing acoustics and the easiest to use on stage. VERY sturdy too. If you specifically want an acoustic to plug in, you may want to keep giving them a chance.
I would like a new bicycle, a gas grill for barbecue, and a sander-boy to finish sanding that damn Fender strat I've still got laying around.

One time I got roped into one of those desert island discussions: "What 10 guitars would you want with you on a desert island?" I picked 9 Ovation jumbos and a Steinberger bass. I'd lash the Ovations together into a raft and use the Steinberger to paddle my ass off that island. So, yeah, Ovations totally have their uses.

i'll stick with my taylor big baby, i couldn't afford one with all the bells and whissles at the time but i love that guitar. i tend to like a smaller acoustic.
the bolt on neck may throw people off, and the satin/oil finnish or whatever it is isn't for looks. but this is the best playing and sounding acoustic i've ever played. the constuctions is quite unique, the back is arched and is glued directly to the sides with no aditional bracing, i guess this minimizes glue and alows everything to resonate freely.

something about an ovation is lacking, those composite backs just dont sound right to me, but then again i'd say that about 99% of the affordable guitars out there. i don't even know if i like the expensive taylors out there. maybe i've found the one and only acoustic for my taste, excluding nylon strings, i like to fiddle with some classical and flamenco stuff on those.

RLW said:
As far as bodies go, I'll take Lani Todd.

So what's a Lani Todd Rich? I've never seen that model in Australia.  Solid body or does it have an f hole? :icon_scratch:

I'd like to point out that Fender now owns Ovation (as well as Hamer), so this could be doable.  On the ovation fan club website, they have over 6000 members.  That's a lot of guitar bodies.  You guys crack me up.

willyk said:
RLW said:
As far as bodies go, I'll take Lani Todd.

So what's a Lani Todd Rich? I've never seen that model in Australia.   Solid body or does it have an f hole? :icon_scratch:

Solid body. Very, VERY solid. Don't google it at work.

Actually, Rich, if you do a bit more 'googling' you can easily find that the Lani Todd body style DEFINITELY has an f-hole.  :icon_thumright:

I'm gonna side with bpmorton, I like it too, I don't think I will build one, I more like it just because it's different.

tfarny said:
Ovations are great guitars that don't get enough respect - I used to own a balladeer special and it had a great, great neck, sounded great plugged in too. But an ugly headstock.

Hey... Ovations get a LOT of respect.  They do their job, and do it as good as any other, and probably better.

The SHALLOW body Ovulation guitars are not for acoustic playing - they can be used that way, but they're made to sing "plugged in".  The MEDIUM body O's are pretty good acoustically, especially the new LX series which has closer to the original (non electric) bracing, and newer neck design (truss rod, attachment method, angle, etc).
The DEEP body O's are really nice acoustically.  They hold up against any all wood guitar IMHO, and have better projection, perhaps less colored tones.

The non-wood-top Ovations, known as Adamas, are spectacular.  I've got an SMT medium body that is phenomenally even toned, any where you play on the neck, any fret, any string... no tone or volume surprises or changes.  The woven top is a bit more middy edged.  The new (old) textured tops - still carbon fibre - have tones and flavorings that match anything out there... they are just really special.

I'm only saying this cuz I know the (former) owner of Ovation.... <ggggg>

Yeah CB I think you're totally right even though you're just shamelessly plugging your friends company. But lots of players think ovations are just 'wrong' in general.

My girlfriend at the time gave me one of the Koa Celebrity models Xmas before last; sounds GREAT straight into the board for recording

Ovations are, in my opinion, pretty to look at but unpleasant to play.  I can't play them sitting OR standing, they slide all over the place!

As far as sound goes I think the low-end ones are fine for the price, but if you're going to spend more than a grand on an acoustic you should get a Taylor instead.

(Mmmm, Taylor... maybe Warmoth will have to take a backseat to a new acoustic.  Sorry, Gregg.  :doh:)

Of course having an acoustic... Ovation... that plays like a Strat is also a plus in their favor. 

Hey.... Bill sold out Kaman Music to Fender...  retired at a gas station in Florida now.

Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age used to play Ovation solid-bodies, I read somewhere that he loved them above all other guitars, but they were just getting to hard to find.  I don't know the model for sure, but I think it was a PF-22.  Ovation had a lot more solid-bodies than I had ever realized.  I mainly knew them for their acoustics, which for the record, I find to sound great, but I just can't get used to their round backs.  I always feel like I am going to drop it.  I'll take a Santa Cruz if anyone is giving out acoustics!  :laughing11:
Oh, yeah, here's a pic of Josh Homme with his Ovation

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\medium_joshm.jpg

Attachments

• medium_joshm.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 286
nice guitar, nice headstock.  Body the breadwinner is a cool bodystyle.

-CB- said:
Of course having an acoustic... Ovation... that plays like a Strat is also a plus in their favor. 

Hey.... Bill sold out Kaman Music to Fender...  retired at a gas station in Florida now.

Seriously?
Whereabouts in FL?

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/eastwood-GP/GP_frm.htm - - Eastwood copy of an Ovation> I was considering getting the gold top version before I made my Warmoth order.

Guitlouie, if I had a santa cruz to give away, no body's be recieving that thing but me myself and I.

I'm a huge fan of Lowdens myself though

Back