Orpheo Inspired by Series (new les pauls inside!)

Orpheo

For some time now, I've been building Warmoth Les Pauls, with one great purpose: my own 'inspired by' series! and now, I'm almost done. this is the story.

This guitar is my first Warmoth. Its a korina/flamed maple body, rosewood neck and fingerboard, and a customfinish. the inspiration was Mark Tremonti in a very high degree (prs-> rosewood neck, Tremonti: singlecut+tremolo) and lesser degree Tony Iommi (crosses) and Justin Hawkins (flashy looks overall). the 3 pickup is something of my own. I just like 3 pickup guitars.

KIF_9686.jpg

KIF_9667.jpg

DSC09498.jpg

KIF_9690.jpg

see the flamed korina back  :hello2:

This is my number 2. I traded this guitar
73f1_3-1.jpg
for this one:

IMG_1550.jpg

I just like les pauls more! this one has a braz. rosewood neck and fingerboard, custom paint, custom inlay, custom pickups. this one was actually build by someone else (though,the specs are so, that I could've ordered this one too), and eventhough I've took this one more apart than my bike, it still feels like someone else's build.

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

This one is my number 3.

first, the kisekae-drawing
Afbeelding3-1.png

and now the real guitar:

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

I like the idea that the real guitar resembles the kisekae-drawing so much. the inspiration here was a guitar of someone I know in the Netherlands (unknown guy), Jan Akkerman, and my own guitar. When I ordered, there was a walnut top and koa back available, but I asked for a koa top and walnut back, because I felt the walnut would give it more tightness and 'scream' and the koa would smooth it out a bit, just like the sound of my black les paul custom. and really, these 2 guitars, despite different woods and constructions, sound very, VERY much alike. thus: mission acomplished!

3 weeks ago, I wanted to get my new project under way asap. I wanted an Ace Frehley Tribute and an Jan Akkerman tribute.

janakkermanlespaul.png

jan akkerman

DSCF0345.jpg

ace frehley.

this is how the guitars turned out!

03032008116.jpg

03032008120.jpg

I mailed Warmoth for a body in cherryburst, but due to slow emails, the body got sold before the order was final, so I bought the fireburstbody, which has quilt maple instead of flame, but hey, you dont hear me complaining! happy little accidents, to quote Bob Ross.

I also made a little change. I wanted to see FRETBOARD instead of blocks or whatever. The showcase necks were just fine! cool grain on the fingerboard, good profile, no big inlay, raw necks, and dead cheap. I bought them.

the other change I made was to have a set of gold pickups (jb/jazz) in the fireburst instead of cream superdistortions.
1: I dont like those cream pickups.
2: I dont like superdistortions
3: I have already pickups like them (but more tight and more high end) in a guitar
4: when I hit hard, the string will get stuck under the bobbin, so: covers! And I like gold, so I got gold.

The guitars will get 3 pickups later in their life, but I dont have the money at the moment to buy them, not even 30$ for a GFS crappy pickup.I would have if I didnt buy rio grandes and seymour duncans, but I didnt want to compromise on tone.

so, this is my set :) I will give you some more pics.

03032008117.jpg

03032008113.jpg

03032008122.jpg

03032008123.jpg

03032008122.jpg

03032008121.jpg

03032008107.jpg

oh, and this is me, holding the body.

03032008109.jpg

just look how DAMN tight the neck-body joint is!

Speechless....  :eek: :tard: :eek:

But is it me, or are the decals somewhat non-perpendiculair?

artnaz said:
Speechless....  :eek: :tard: :eek:

But is it me, or are the decals somewhat non-perpendiculair?

that was done on purpose :) Just a hint towards gibson ;)

oh and I'm now a VERY happy man!!!!! the VERY complex wiring, works!!!

Won't talk with you anymore! :icon_jokercolor:
You're like a drug dealer showing cocaine to vicious guys...

Orpheo said:
oh and I'm now a VERY happy man!!!!! the VERY complex wiring, works!!!

Cool, how's it wired?

Also, I meant to put my Warmoth decal on crooked, too.  ;)

the wiring is 2 tone 2 volume, and for the rio grandes, I can split them with one push push pot, and when both are on, I can have the either parallel or series. the jb is splitable with one push push pot, and the jazz can be put series or parallel with another.

Aaaaaawwwwww, c'mon man ! :eek:

That's just not fair.  You've got more guitars than I've got TV channels.  And there all great.
If I ever do a gig in the Netherlands, I'm definitly coming to your house to borrow one of yours.

Cool........    :hello2:

jimh said:
Aaaaaawwwwww, c'mon man ! :eek:

That's just not fair.  You've got more guitars than I've got TV channels.  And there all great.
If I ever do a gig in the Netherlands, I'm definitly coming to your house to borrow one of yours.

Cool........    :hello2:

you are more than welcome to give one of these guitars a try :)

You're probably mentioned this somewhere before, but how do the Warmoth LPs compare to your Gibsons, in your opinion?

GoDrex said:
You're probably mentioned this somewhere before, but how do the Warmoth LPs compare to your Gibsons, in your opinion?

warmoth LP's are awesome. better sound, better feel, better looks, beter eye for details. BUT!!!! the final quality of the guitar depends on your skills for assembly. if you're crappy at setting guitars up, the final result will be less than if you are very good at setups, but still.... the 'raw material' is truly a gibson/fender killer. hell, even a PRS killer. its absolutely top notch.

nathan a said:
Hmm. So are you a gibson man, or a fender man?  :icon_tongue: Nice happy family there

hmm... lemme think......

:D

I like both sounds, but I prefer gibson-looks and gibson-feel. the thing is, I want to have all the 'les paul incarnations' that are possible (which are quite a lot....) before I start with fenders...

I wanna have:

2 pickup LP custom alpine white
3 pickup LP custom white/black, schenker style
3 pickup LP custom transparant white on flamed maple
3 pickup LP custom silverburst
3 pickup LP standard goldtop with creme p90's
'page' LP standard
cherryburst, 3 gold pickups, creme plastics
tobaccoburst, black plastics, gold hardware, 3 pickups
Flamed black korina on padouk or zebrano back, 3 gold pickups
padouk top, black korina back, f holes, 3 pickups.
LP junior, singlecut, black korina w. rosewood neck, ebony board

so... i've got my work layed out for me :D

Orpheo said:
2 pickup LP custom alpine white
3 pickup LP custom white/black, schenker style
3 pickup LP custom transparant white on flamed maple
3 pickup LP custom silverburst
3 pickup LP standard goldtop with creme p90's
'page' LP standard
cherryburst, 3 gold pickups, creme plastics
tobaccoburst, black plastics, gold hardware, 3 pickups
Flamed black korina on padouk or zebrano back, 3 gold pickups
padouk top, black korina back, f holes, 3 pickups.
LP junior, singlecut, black korina w. rosewood neck, ebony board

so... i've got my work layed out for me :D

Wow. Definitely support the alpine white custom, those are sharp.
Others aint bad neither

the girl-inlay was done by a friend of mine, who is the guy who does the inlays and special finishes for a very lucky few in the netherlands; Just normal customers and luthiers here too.

Orpheo said:
the wiring is 2 tone 2 volume, and for the rio grandes, I can split them with one push push pot, and when both are on, I can have the either parallel or series. the jb is splitable with one push push pot, and the jazz can be put series or parallel with another.

Absolutely fantastic guitars.

I though about wiring my Les Paul like this (2 Tone, 2 Volume, 2 Push push one for spilt one for series/parallel).
May I ask where you got the wiring diagram please?

In reality how usuable are the different sounds. 
Does the sound differ much tonally between parallel and split, enough to make the effort worth while?

Is there much volume difference between split and parallel.  I guess split would be much louder.

Cheers
Dave

lp1958 said:
Orpheo said:

Absolutely fantastic guitars.

I though about wiring my Les Paul like this (2 Tone, 2 Volume, 2 Push push one for spilt one for series/parallel).
May I ask where you got the wiring diagram please?

In reality how usuable are the different sounds. 
Does the sound differ much tonally between parallel and split, enough to make the effort worth while?

Is there much volume difference between split and parallel.  I guess split would be much louder.

Cheers
Dave

the split-wiring is very easy to do, and that is shown on the wiring diagram you get with the pickups. the series/parallel can be seen on the seymour duncan site. that is only when 2 pickups are on!

I have to say I dont like parallel. its not 'true' enough, not really a singlecoil, and yeah, most of the time, split is louder. the series/parallel switch just gave it a sound that was too much bassy and fatty. no need for that with the BBQ pickup! so I got rid of the second push push pot, and put it in another guitar for coiltap.

Thanks Orpheo,

That is just what I wanted to hear.

Your coments have confirmed my thoughts on just going for the coil split.  I couldn't think where I'd use the parallel option.

Cheers
Dave

lp1958 said:
Thanks Orpheo,

That is just what I wanted to hear.

Your coments have confirmed my thoughts on just going for the coil split.  I couldn't think where I'd use the parallel option.

Cheers
Dave

yeah, the parallel sound is rahter useless. I have some motherbuckers in a guitar, and those pickups do sound good when specific coils are put in series, but still...its too much of a hassle, all the switching and wiring.

Back