ordering up...

sodabap

ok, so after some more thought after your good advice I'm nearly ready to order up. I'm going for the tele deluxe body mahogany, and the CBS vintage neck - maple and rosewood fretboard. Now for the tricky bits. How fat is the fat neck compared to say the 50's rounded neck on an SG standard ( I play a 61 re-issue SG, but I prefer the thicker neck on the standard). I tried a couple of teles in a guitar shop in town, but the guy there said they were all standard thin so I've nothing to compare to really.
One final thought on the bridge. I'd really like a tremolo but having never owned a tremolo'd guitar, I'd have concerns with it staying in tune. I played a strat with schaller locking tuners, roller nut and schaller(I think) bridge, and found that when bending the strings (on the fretboard) I could here that the other strings were going down in tone without me touching the bridge. Is this normal, and can the bridge be tightened so as it doesn't move as easily when merely bending strings? Any advice much appreciated.

I was going to order the wilkinson gotoh tremolo bridge, but then I saw that it's not for use with a tele deluxe. Does anyone know why?

sodabap said:
I was going to order the wilkinson gotoh tremolo bridge, but then I saw that it's not for use with a tele deluxe. Does anyone know why?

Too little wood between the studs and pickup cavity.  This could lead to the studs tearing out.  Definitely not good!

That behavior is typical of tremolo guitars.  Especially, if they are floating (allow pulling up as well as dive bombing down).  You might try using a HipShot TremSetter in the tremolo cavity.  I understand that it keeps the bridge stable when bending notes or if you break a string.  I have one that I want to install on my Hamer Chapparell Custom with a Floyd Rose, but I haven't done it yet.

I'd like to hear what people think of the Boatneck and Fatback profiles, too.  Should the nut width be 1-5/8" for those thick necks?  What do each of them feel closest to?

Hadn't realised there was a difference of space from the bottom of the custom bridge pickup and the deluxe bridge pick up, thanks. On reading a different thread the 'trem king' really caught my eye - seems to do away with a lot of my tuning concerns and tremolos. I sent them an e-mail to see if they thought the trem king would sit in the deluxe ok. The clip I saw was great.

Back